alternative to blueing?

no avatar
wastrel

alternative to blueing?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:55 pm

was reading this as a subject on the old forum, is there a realistic alternative to blueing?
some very expensive pieces of kit, some (blued) powder burners & matching shotties run into tens of thousands of pounds, if they`re even at risk of tarnishing from something so innocuous & common as finger prints, or rain in the uk, makes the finish pretty useless AFAIC.
I don`t shoot outdoors much, but a coating of Wurth Ultra 2040 (read -their scented version of WD I think) takes care of my rifles so far,
my point is that since we all need an additional coating of whatever our choice is, leaves blueing in effect 'not fit for purpose'?
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

roadrunner

Re: alternative to blueing?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I never had a problem with blueing, i polish all my guns with mr sheen after use, gets rid of finger prints and leaves the thinest of coatings that protect from rain,if it does get wet then i split the action and let everything air dry then polish,all my guns look like new and arent smoothered in oil

no avatar
wastrel

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 pm

roadrunner wrote:I never had a problem with blueing, i polish all my guns with mr sheen after use, gets rid of finger prints and leaves the thinest of coatings that protect from rain,if it does get wet then i split the action and let everything air dry then polish,all my guns look like new and arent smoothered in oil

so if you read (& took in) my post, the fact is Yes, YOU DO have a problem with Blueing, `cos you use an additional protective substance `cos the orgional finish is 'not fit for purpose'?
put it another way, I wax my car sometimes after cleaning it, I don`t have to, but it keeps it cleaner, longer, but if I didn`t, it wouldn`t rust away 'cos the paint protects it, the paint is fit for it`s purpose, the fact we have to use an additional coating of whatever means blueing isn`t!
so is there any other permanent finish we can apply once & not worry about our guns tarnishing- that is the question?
Last edited by wastrel on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:04 pm

there is an alternative

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/uk/

and maybe powder coating.....I`m sure zed and maybe gnome of the woods had some kind of special coating on they`re rifles......
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Blackbaronfish

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:10 am

Bluing isn't a protective finish :roll: :mrgreen: , its cosmetic. That's why there are so many after market protectors.
And yes I did read your post :lol: :lol: :lol:
BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

raygun

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:44 am

If the paint on your car is that good, paint your rifle :lol:

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
kevingambrell

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 am

Bluing is in no way intended to stop rust, point of fact bluing is rust. When you blue a gun you form a controled layer of oxide on the surface layer of the steel.
There are also a good few methods for achieving the blue on gun parts. My choice is always Nitre bluing using hot molten salts, I find it gives a better colour and slightly more resistance to rusting. It is however of no use on large parts unless you have a very big pot to melt the salts in. All the springs I make are tempered in a nitre pot and come out a lovely colour but sadly never get seen as they are generaly buried inside a shotgun or rifle.

Parkerizing is a generic term for applying a coating of zinc phosphate, this will help prevent rust and slightly reduce wear on parts. But Rust can stil form over time
even on the best parkerizing.

Rust browning is my favorite finnish on rifle barrels when it produces a nice deep plumb brown I dont think anything looks better. As a finnish its all rust, the brown is very shallow pits in the steel filled with good old rust. Coated with wax or linseed this finish will last many many years and I think is a good bit harder wearing than blue.

The worst rust I have seen on an air rifle was under the camo tape that the owner had wrapped round the barrel on an old BSA. He had shot the rifle in the rain and not thought about how the tape held the water. He never used tape again after that.

no avatar
poguemahone

Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:13 am

wastrel wrote:was reading this as a subject on the old forum, is there a realistic alternative to blueing?
some very expensive pieces of kit, some (blued) powder burners & matching shotties run into tens of thousands of pounds, if they`re even at risk of tarnishing from something so innocuous & common as finger prints, or rain in the uk, makes the finish pretty useless AFAIC.
I don`t shoot outdoors much, but a coating of Wurth Ultra 2040 (read -their scented version of WD I think) takes care of my rifles so far,
my point is that since we all need an additional coating of whatever our choice is, leaves blueing in effect 'not fit for purpose'?

you're just after a ''blue badge'' arent you ?? ;)

roadrunner

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:15 pm

wastrel wrote:
roadrunner wrote:I never had a problem with blueing, i polish all my guns with mr sheen after use, gets rid of finger prints and leaves the thinest of coatings that protect from rain,if it does get wet then i split the action and let everything air dry then polish,all my guns look like new and arent smoothered in oil

so if you read (& took in) my post, the fact is Yes, YOU DO have a problem with Blueing, `cos you use an additional protective substance `cos the orgional finish is 'not fit for purpose'?
put it another way, I wax my car sometimes after cleaning it, I don`t have to, but it keeps it cleaner, longer, but if I didn`t, it wouldn`t rust away 'cos the paint protects it, the paint is fit for it`s purpose, the fact we have to use an additional coating of whatever means blueing isn`t!
so is there any other permanent finish we can apply once & not worry about our guns tarnishing- that is the question?

No i dont have a problem with it at all and stop thinking i do,i was brought up to look after everything we owned,if you cant be bothered to wipe down a precision piece of equipment after use then dont use it

no avatar
kevingambrell

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:04 pm

I think the point thats being missed here is paint is a surface finish as is Cerakote that is applied to the rifle. Blue is a change in the chemical structure of the surface of the steel parts and as such not in the same field as an applied coating.