tx200 mk 2 - Hot

no avatar
juanpablo

tx200 mk 2 - Hot

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Guys Newbie here - First of all big thank you to Julian for great price, service and advice on new spring and front guide.
Found the forum through him and must say it looks great.
Looking for some advice on the subject of the gun running hot.
Owned for 18 years and probably no more than 5000 pellets through it but now semi retired I bought a Crombo and was shocked to discover my 7 year old Hw95 and Tx both over.My mates old venom tuned Hw 77 showing 11.4 so felt the Crombo is ok. Discovered the Hw spring problem on the net so stripped and lubed and refinished the spring and now getting a 10 shot spread of 6fps on Accupell at 10.98 and Hobbies at 11.00 and so much nicer.Superdomes have a 8fps spread and average 10.79 - really pleased with the results.
Onto the Tx - cleaned and relubed and after 30 shots onto the chrono - it read the same as before.
Took a coil off the bottom (couldn't move the front guide) but not happy with the job as the spring was now tight on the guide and zero preload also being 18 years old I ordered a new AA one.Fitted today and the power is still where it was .
Would appreciate any advice.

Dave.

no avatar
Roadworthy

Re: tx200 mk 2 - Hot

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:27 am

To my understanding a spring being tight on the guide is a good thing - it helps reduce twang. It may also reduce power slightly.

Your main concern appears to be too much power. You may opt of a spring with thinner wire - Air Rifle Headquarters sells them.

A new piston seal will slide less freely in the compression tube, slowing it down. This will also reduce your power output. The reduction in shot cycle will likely smooth your shot cycle as well.

I don't believe they have any in stock at the moment, but Air Rifle Headquarters sells a machined steel cocking shoe for the TX 200 which can really smooth the cocking.

eddie666

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:22 am

Admin edit
prosport 177 2015 walnut
tx200 .22 1998 mk2
walther lgv comp ultra 1.77 2014
walther lgu .22 2014

Timmytree

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:01 am

[quote="eddie666"]
Admin edit

Since it's Julian that's keeping this forum going AND funding it I would suggest the OP buys from Bond Gun Accessories. Not much point in using a different sized spring if you then have to buy new guides as well. Apart from which, Titan springs are £4 dearer than stock AA springs which are better quality.

Timmytree

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:11 am

Hi Dave, the MK2 is a very efficient unit and produces power easily. A new piston seal may bring the power down, that is the first thing to try. If that doesn't work you may end up changing to a MK3 spring and guides. Again, Julian for the parts but contact Rogers 1 (Duncan) for TX advice. Coincidentally he lives in Scotland although he is a sassenach.
Regards
Tim

bgaltd

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Timmytree wrote:Hi Dave, the MK2 is a very efficient unit and produces power easily. A new piston seal may bring the power down, that is the first thing to try. If that doesn't work you may end up changing to a MK3 spring and guides. Again, Julian for the parts but contact Rogers 1 (Duncan) for TX advice. Coincidentally he lives in Scotland although he is a sassenach.
Regards
Tim

he did Tim :-) .

a new spring and spring guide was sent a few days ago :-) :-)

no avatar
juanpablo

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Wow thanks for all the advise and links Eddie- so much available nowadays.

I feel that the spring/guide fit is about the same as the original, it was me who messed up the original when I removed a coil, up to last year the rifle was as smooth as my mates Venom Hw77.I did notice when I put the chrono on his last week, that it felt a lot more pleasant than the the Tx - the power increase and harshness have obviously "crept up on me"
I should have mentioned that consistency is also poor, a 20fps + spread with a variety of ammo, and that I had also changed the breech seals which looked and felt fine.
Stripped her again last night and yet again cleaned the compression chamber - same results.
No wear on anything and the bearings are free to rotate and the piston seal "looks" fine - but I have never seen or felt a new one, perhaps it has become hard.
Timmytree and Roadworthy - yours re seal makes sense , thinking back 45 years when these went the gun would become harsh as the piston slammed home but the fact that, although she has become harsh, power is up and that threw me.Will order a new seal from Julian and will report back.
Thanks again Guys!

Dave

eddie666

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

things i have found with the tx200
seals can get hard over time which will give you a more constant push of air in the chamber ( but when they wear ) they will move faster and make the shot harsher and less power,

new seals will make more drag and slow the spring down , as it seals better it also buffers better , so smoother shot,
but when new and soft it gets hotter faster and softer quicker , giving you a closer but up and down constancy if not rested to let things cool , this will last until the seal is run in, then it will wear and start to slightly harden , then it will give a good constant shots,

spring guides if very tight will slow the spring down , and will speed up as they get hotter , so your consistency will be tight but will move up and down if not rested from heat .

spring guides very lose will give you spring twang and move very fast , but will be constant shots , apart from the vibration.

you want your spring guides just snug so your spring will return to the same position every time even when it gets hot,

old springs will lose their springiness over time and adding washers will work for a bit but there is a point of no return and more pre load will just kill it faster and you could end up coil bound and not be able to cock and lock the rifle.

when all parts are new ,
new seal . spring length and two washers for each end ( for the spring to wind and unwind on ) two guides front and back
( nice snug fit ) then put all that lot in the rifle and chrono , if its high ( good ) start to cut the spring coils half at a time
until its down to about 11.00 fpe then its got room to creep up as it all wears in ,
if the power it down when the spring and two washers and the to guides are in , add another washer on the back guide end,
do not over grease every thing or it will end up in the chamber and dieseling , :cry:

video on fitting a welsh willy kit on a tx200hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGzTlSpheo0
prosport 177 2015 walnut
tx200 .22 1998 mk2
walther lgu .22 2014

no avatar
juanpablo

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Eddie thanks very much for taking the trouble to share your experience.Was starting to think that way re the seal so it's good to have it confirmed by the Guys who have been there.Found your other advise very interesting too.
The link to the video was great, something to consider in the future and it let me see I have probably over lubed.While this is not causing the problem at the moment I will certainly remove grease to prevent future issues.
For your info there were no washers fitted but will have another look in the compression tube and order a couple from Julian.
Was telling the Lads I grew up with last night and was reminded of the hours we spent and dubious engineering tactics employed in order to achieve the opposite - then you couldn't hit anything with it!
Will report back when I get the new seal in.

Dave

eddie666

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:44 am

hi, any steel washers will do as long as they fit over the guides and not bigger than the spring ends, i got some from our local b&q store, take your guides with you to try the fit,put grease on both sides when you fit them ,
prosport 177 2015 walnut
tx200 .22 1998 mk2
walther lgu .22 2014