Galahad accuracy

no avatar
Pointer

Galahad accuracy

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:28 pm

Hey Gang,

Hoping for quick cure to my new ill!

Recently acquired a Galahad in.22 unregulated. Tried cleaning barrel and used Jsb RS, Jsb express, Jsb diabo, AA FTT, Daystate Kaiser, Daystate Sovereign but although grouping at 35 yards is ok it’s still unsatisfactory for an AA product.

Seems to shoot 2-4 pellet on pellet then followed by 2 or 3 that can move an inch either way? Very disappointed at moment cos I have an old AA S410 that can way outperform the new pup and it’s nearly 10years old.

Anyone else have similar experience with a remedy you can prescribe please?

Help and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

no avatar
Smudgerii

Re: Galahad accuracy

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Parallax? Took me a while to adjust to shooting a pup, and the Galahad is a very accurate pup..

no avatar
Pointer

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Smudgergil but these are shots all taken at 35yard target with no alteration in scope setting or rifle position.

no avatar
robertt

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Can you confirm you have checked parallax settings?

no avatar
Pointer

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi Robert,

Yep parallax corrected. This is my 4th bullpup to date so not a newbie to this type of rifle. Chrono'd it yesterday and have a high of 597fps and a low of 571fps spread over just under 100 shots. Day before I removed barrel and cleaned thoroughly, made sure everything was nice and tight on rebuild and it did seem to group better.

no avatar
robt123

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi Pointer,

I had one of the very first regged .177 carbines and it did exactly the same thing. I sent it straight back and they put a new barrel in it, they tested it with AA Field 4.51 and it was spot on. I tried it with AA Field 4.52 and it was not quite as good, bought a tin of 4.51 (not easy to source except by mail order) and bingo dead on. (yes I know the argument about 0.01mm, don't care, I saw it for myself)

A few months later it started doing it again, spoke to the factory and they swapped the mechanism for a new one, been fine ever since.

Good luck, Rob.

no avatar
Pointer

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your input, very interesting.

During my little chrono session I also charted the pellet POI, unfortunately the occasion 'flyer' didn't correspond with the occasion power fluctuation as I had very much hoped. Obviously if the two had correlated I would have good reason to tread the regulation path.

Maybe I'm being too fussy as I said it was whole lot better Monday. I did give the barrel another clean and I did adjust power slightly. Found it was only touching 10 - 10.2fpe which I believe was little too low especially in .22. Think I need to graph the chrono results and find standard deviation and compare to other known non-regulated results.

Cheers fellas