Ringing in my ears !

no avatar
Archer50

Ringing in my ears !

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:17 pm

My HFT500 has started to make a very off-putting ringing sounds with each shot. It's not coming' from the cylinder - I've checked that out - it's coming from the rear of the action, possibly the bolt housing or hammer spring area. It's only started recently, and it's driving me nuts! I've had it apart, and can't see anything wrong or that has changed.

Anyone got any ideas what it is and how to fix it?

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Ringing in my ears !

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:30 pm

Archer50 wrote:My HFT500 has started to make a very off-putting ringing sounds with each shot. It's not coming' from the cylinder - I've checked that out - it's coming from the rear of the action, possibly the bolt housing or hammer spring area. It's only started recently, and it's driving me nuts! I've had it apart, and can't see anything wrong or that has changed.

Anyone got any ideas what it is and how to fix it?

Alan

Hi Alan, have just dry fired an S510 with my ear against the action, there was hardly any spring noise, then realised it was the S510 with the anti bounce hammer fitted, tried another one, and I could here the hammer spring, not that loud but it was noticeable, there isn't a lot inside to make a ringing sound, my S400 pings but it shoots so well I will live with it. Rog

no avatar
Archer50

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Roger

The noise is loud enough to be heard clearly by other people at the target and it only started in the last couple of weeks even though I've changed nothing. I've tried dampening it in all sorts of temporary ways to try to find exactly what's happening, but it still rings like a bell.

I love this gun in many ways, but I've had a string of weird problems ever since I got it - unlike my S400 which just keeps pumping my them out :?

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Must surely be the hammer spring. Maybe coat the spring thinly with Plastikote paint and reassemble. It will probably weaken the power or make it less predictable with physical damping but an interesting experiment for someone.

My Walther LG200 used to do it esp if you let your hearing protection touch the stock.