The S200 finally enters the 21st Century!

Raj

The S200 finally enters the 21st Century!

Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:12 pm

So guys ...
After days and weeks of nothing happening on the forum, finally something really interesting!

I was contacted last week by Chris from our forum (Carnivore). He told me that after feeling that the stubby, mean piece of plastic that is the trigger was letting the beautiful S200 down, he had decided to do something about it ... experiment. His engineering skills are obvious when you see the result of his efforts. A really tidy piece of professional 3-D printing in ... in Chris's words "graphite-filled Nylon proportioned for 'grown ups' ".
Now for the embarrassing bit - He wanted to send me a couple to try out and comment on! I said yes and a couple of days later, they arrived by 1st class in an envelope that weighed next to nothing. First impression even before opening the envelope was ... "How light is this thing?" Anyway, I got to take a proper look and feel this weekend and here are my honest thoughts.

1. The weight - The Trigger is extremely light and will not add any weight to the rifle if you prefer the S200 because it is light.
2. The surface texture - I felt was rough and gritty. However, that was when I was taking a look without putting it on the rifle. Once in position, the texture actually helps with grip between the trigger blade and your index finger. No issues there.
3. The fitment - The dovetail is pretty precise. It slid on without much effort and I was able to move it easily along the Trigger Base (part No.66) to find the best position for my reach. The trigger is mounted using the same nut and screw that the original is affixed with - Part No.92 - the M4 x 8mm long Soc. Cap Screw and an M4 captive nut (which strangely does not appear in the CZ 200 catalogue. Word of warning - Do not try the trigger without tightening it on ... which itself requires care. I did and nearly wrecked the tiny dovetail because there is very little material to take the force - not a problem just specific to Chris's 3-D printed sample but in general on the S200 design.
4. The shape and size - The trigger is well thought out and the curve on the blade fitted my average sized finger very well. Most fingers will be fine but if you have sausages instead, it mat still be a tad small. I dont think that can be helped because there is only so much you can lengthen the blade before it hits the trigger guard - a well known issue on the S200.
5. The overall feel - I felt comfortable using it. Of-course it does not compare with a fully adjustable Rowan unit but it is certainly a mid-range upgrade on the original.
6. Strength - With it being a composite material, there is some give if yo really try to bend it but for a well set-up S200 trigger unit, the few grams of force you need to break the trigger will not bend the samples I was supplied. As you will see in the pictures, care has been taken to provide a bracing on the rear face of the blade so in the given space constraints, you couldnt have done much better.

I also shot the rifle after fitting the trigger and could not see any difference in my groups 8-) :mrgreen: Well done, Chris!

Some pictures ...
st9.png
st9.png (677.5 KiB) Viewed 5003 times

st7.png
st7.png (682.46 KiB) Viewed 5003 times

st4.png
st4.png (861.57 KiB) Viewed 5003 times

st2.png
st2.png (568.65 KiB) Viewed 5003 times

st5.png
st5.png (819.53 KiB) Viewed 5003 times

st6.png
st6.png (640.46 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
carnivore

Re: The S200 finally enters the 21st Century!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 am

Thank you, Raj, for your time, kind words and excellent pictures.
This design is the result of my dissatisfaction with the trigger and the 3D modelling skills of member 'Hadgee' with whom I have collaborated on a few projects for air rifle parts. He is the talent, I just do concept, testing and marketing. The material used is a robust composite which is stiff but has enough give to allow the trigger release bar dovetail to 'bite' into it for a positive fit while the curve of the blade fits an adult finger with more contact area.

If Raj's words inspire any member to try one of these new triggers I have a five from the first batch remaining and will let them go for an introductory price of £6 inc. p+p. If they prove popular it will take about a month to get the next batch printed so if you miss the first order, be assured that there will be more on the way. Please post something on this thread to indicate your interest so I can estimate the number to order.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Now you can 3D-print out some custom stocks - starting with a decent ISSF stock for the MPR 10m 8-)

Someone on Ebay was selling one but it was rough as a badger's whatsit..

Hadgee

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Thank you Raj for that great write up.

Myself and Carnivore have been developing and tweaking accessories that we feel are missing. We both believe that the use of 3D printers are a great resource for parts that are either not available or are too costly. Whilst we know the limitations of 3D materials we feel that it is the way forward some custom parts and replacement parts. We design and develope using a local 3D printer and once fine tuned we have the parts printed professionally. Chris has to be credited with most of the ideas and runs the distribution flawlessly.

Thank you again for such an in depth review.

Hadgee

no avatar
billywhizz

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Chris, thank you for your time in producing the trigger ,yes please I would like one, if you pm me your details then I will pay you for it. many thanks paul.

no avatar
Fish

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 am

Looks really good Chris. I'd like to try one please. I will send payment if you can forward necessary details. Thanks Paul.

Blackbaronfish

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Nice trigger and a fair review. Well done chaps 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:21 pm

I think a percentage of the sale should go to the admin Christmas party......... ;) ;)
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Blackbaronfish

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 pm

eboswan wrote:I think a percentage of the sale should go to the admin Christmas party......... ;) ;)

Sounds good Brian :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
carnivore

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 am

eboswan wrote:I think a percentage of the sale should go to the admin Christmas party......... ;) ;)

Breath-holding is not recommended. :D