You're early airgun days.

no avatar
robertt

You're early airgun days.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 am

On my 12th birthday my parents bought me a BSA Meteor Supersport..

It was the best present in my life and I havn't been so enthralled by any present since , except the birth of my children.

I have in the last couple of years had several tack driving air rifles but you can become very serious about perfecting accuracy etc.

Last month I went to a Paddock with my 14 year old son and his mate.

We had a laugh sniping lemo bottles at 100y with the 22 s200 but the real fun started when I dug out the 1948 Webley Mk3 and the '76 Airsporter , both with open sights.

I had a load of heinz cans which I stuck out on fence posts at 35 ish yards and we nailed them big time shooting offhand.

Suddenly I wasn't a 60y old man with aches and pains but a 14 year old kid having a ball.

The lads loved it.

I didn't think much about it at the time but when I think about it now I get a little bit choked up at the happy memories it brought back.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: You're early airgun days.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:44 pm

When I was 11 I bought one of these Czech things from the school bring and buy sale. 1962ish. Had it a few years then nothing for 35 years til I discovered FT.
Got it confiscated several times for breaking windows and using next doors chimney cowl as a bell target.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (3.2 KiB) Viewed 3519 times

Blackbaronfish

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 am

My first love was. Diana SP50 pistol. I also had it taken of me for shooting darts at the toilet wall :roll: .
Next came the BSA Meteor which was also in the mans calibre. I was well hooked 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Outandabout

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 pm

My first gun was an old czech rifle .22. It was almost as tall as me and nearly as heavy, but i loved it. I dont even know the make, but it was great fun to use.
How many of us remember or had an old pop out gat pistol. We used to play cowboys and indians with these. You were not allowed to shoot at the head, just from the shoulders down over, and I dont remember anybody getting hurt by it. Probably nobody even got hit by them.
Bearing in mind this was 45 years ago and stupid in the extreme - but It was what we did back then.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Like holding 3-2-1-zeros in your hand while they go off. Some may need to Google that.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 pm

My first rifle was a bsa meteor :D which I used too keep hidden from my dad :lol: I used too hide it in next doors coal house wrapped in a plastic bag :lol:
When he did catch me with it I thought it was destined for a visit from Mr hacksaw :( my dad was a ex armourer in the R.a.f so it was stripped cleaned and returned a different rifle followed by a very long lecture on not being a fool with it.
My love of shooting started with that rifle,I'm so glad the old man never chopped it up :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

gdavison

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:13 am

Very first was a "gat gun" bought with pocket money and without parents approval when I was in my early early teens (no minimum 18 yr requirement back then). Shot it in my bedroom room for weeks until caught and it was thrown out and I was grounded for weeks ..
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 am

A lot of them fired corks as well - ideal for bedrooms!
My mate had a Gat. Screw out push rod to load from the back. He used to put the rear end against his cheek to aim. He tried it with my Czech pistol. Had a black eye for a week :lol:

no avatar
dazzler

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:58 pm

I too had the Gat... :lol:

I was also very fortunate to own an Airsporter, which I duly ruined by painting the stock in a camouflage design. :(

Bobby
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f...... beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back.

Albert Swearengen
Deadwood
Circa 1878

gdavison

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:46 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:A lot of them fired corks as well - ideal for bedrooms!
My mate had a Gat. Screw out push rod to load from the back. He used to put the rear end against his cheek to aim. He tried it with my Czech pistol. Had a black eye for a week :lol:

LOL ! :o
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT