Heavy rust on old airgun

no avatar
wastrel

Re: Heavy rust on old airgun

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm

robertt wrote:Wastrel.....
The Diana Mod 22 is a pre war air rifle with brass , yes brass rifling.
It was designed as a starter rifle for kids ( 5 ft lb ) and the accuracy is Minute of Bean can which was all that was required.
If you shot to win a goldfish at the fairground you have probalbly used one.
It is what it is and not a Bench rest demon but great fun.

Point taken Rob, sorry, we simply take shooting a lot more seriously than that rifle was intended for (whisper it, but, all the more reason to back off from THAT ahem, challenge!)
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Blackbaronfish

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 am

I'm glad you haven't been put off 8-) The barrel just like the BSA Meteors can be filled and painted with gloss enamel :mrgreen: . The wood work can clean up well. Any other missing parts can be found by putting adverts on your local gun club notice board, or asking on the BBS etc.
I know what it's like to spend hours on projects for little return, but boy it is so rewarding inside 8-)
Good luck

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:46 am

robertt wrote:Wastrel.....
The Diana Mod 22 is a pre war air rifle with brass , yes brass rifling.
It was designed as a starter rifle for kids ( 5 ft lb ) and the accuracy is Minute of Bean can which was all that was required.
If you shot to win a goldfish at the fairground you have probalbly used one.
It is what it is and not a Bench rest demon but great fun.

Isnt the model 25 a size bigger?
Hey! Some of us still shoot with 5 ft lbs!!

pedro.m.reis

Working on the Diana, day 1: The electrolysis epic failure a

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Working on the Diana 25, day 1: The electrolysis epic failure and the sanding.

The pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/siZQRPrjPTtRcHQV7

After a nice morning on the beach I started on the Diana. Had two objectives for today: the rust electrolysis magic and start sanding the stock.

Well, the electrolysis was a failure. The power source that I used (Lidl battery charger) is too advanced I guess, so it didn't detect "a battery" so it didn't "charge it". If anyone has any experience on using other power sources I'm all ears. Meanwhile I'm looking on the internet for alternative power sources for this job. Maybe a lead battery will do? Dont know. I've lots of PC/laptop/server power supplies around so I think I'll eventually get something working.

Also started the sanding of the stock. First time doing something like this. Used 60 and 100 grit sanding paper, still lots of work to be done. Is there any power tool I can use to do this? I didn't manage to get into the narrow spots with the sanding paper by hand.
The stock has some stains that wont come out sanding it, as you can see on the pics. Still don't know what I'm going to do with it (and if).
TX200 Mk3
HW50
Diana mod. 25 (being rebuild)

Blackbaronfish

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:12 am

Pc power would be ok,just make sure the plus side is on the lump of metal you want to rust and the negative on your gun parts.
A sponge backed sander will help to get the bulk off.The detailed bits will need hand rubbing.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:36 am

Blue stains are usually due to rusty steel and high tannin wood, oak being the worst but beech also. They should come out or be reduced with Oxalic Acid solution . Its a poison so take care.

pedro.m.reis

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:Pc power would be ok,just make sure the plus side is on the lump of metal you want to rust and the negative on your gun parts.
A sponge backed sander will help to get the bulk off.The detailed bits will need hand rubbing.

BBF

Tks, I think a friend of mine will lend me an old battery charger, I will try that first. I think it's important the current (amps) output on this.
TX200 Mk3
HW50

pedro.m.reis

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:56 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:Blue stains are usually due to rusty steel and high tannin wood, oak being the worst but beech also. They should come out or be reduced with Oxalic Acid solution . Its a poison so take care.

Well, I need to find something to cover it then. I'm not going to work with that :). I'm thinking something pink :).
TX200 Mk3
HW50

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am

Paint it :) camo pattern maybe anything but pink :lol:
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

pedro.m.reis

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 am

eboswan wrote:Paint it :) camo pattern maybe anything but pink :lol:

It will be a girl's airgun. Something like this will dou https://www.vecteezy.com/vector-art/97472-abstract-pink-camo-pattern-vector IF I can do it :) hehehe.
TX200 Mk3
HW50