Heavy rust on old airgun

no avatar
wastrel

Re: Heavy rust on old airgun

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:56 pm

eboswan wrote:Si does it matter its his time and money he has asked for help and advice and in the spirit of the aaoc that is what he will receive.
It could well be a project too far but...... It's his project.

Ok, I admit that does look a bit harsh, BUT, it would still be my advice before the man starts, bit like restoring a Lada car IMO, BUT, if however, the man gets into the project (& I hope he does!!) then as you say Bri`, we`re the AAOC & just like Hogwarts (sorry) help will always be given to those who ask!
Right then Pedro, over to you, I`d post a few pictures first, let`s all see what we`re (you`re) dealing with here? & as soon as you get sights, help on fettling, trigger/action smoothing I`m sure will be forthcoming, then, let`s see a grouping, then let`s see if you can improve on it & by just how much?
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

pedro.m.reis

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 pm

wastrel wrote:Right then Pedro, over to you, I`d post a few pictures first, let`s all see what we`re (you`re) dealing with here? & as soon as you get sights, help on fettling, trigger/action smoothing I`m sure will be forthcoming, then, let`s see a grouping, then let`s see if you can improve on it & by just how much?

Sure :)
Tomorrow I'll post some pics. Right now it's only taken apart, with the rust and all :)

Still looking for the (affordable) sights, found a site in germany (http://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/) but they haven't respond to my emails yet. Sights about 25€ each, original Diana. Also all other parts I need there like the spring, screws and seals. Portuguese dealer (recommended by Diana which wont sell to me directly ) didn't respond either so I guess I need to keep looking :). This weekend I'll try get the rust off first.
TX200 Mk3
HW50
Diana mod. 25 (being rebuild)

no avatar
robertt

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:30 pm

I did up a Diana Mod 22 in .177. Which we still plink with. It shoots 25mm groups at 10M with quality pellets.

But before I started the project I made sure the lockup was good the barrel was straight and the bore was in good condition.
If you have any issues with any or all of the above , the outcome of your project may turn into a disappointment.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but it's easy to get carried away with enthusiasm and overlook things.

pedro.m.reis

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 pm

robertt wrote:But before I started the project I made sure the lockup was good the barrel was straight and the bore was in good condition.
If you have any issues with any or all of the above , the outcome of your project may turn into a disappointment.

Humm, how can I do that? What is a lockup? Its the part/system that holds the piston? That is ok, yes.

How can I see if the barrel is straight? And the bore in good conditions?

Tks
TX200 Mk3
HW50

pedro.m.reis

PICS!

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Dont know how to share the pic in the post, so here is the google photos link.

https://goo.gl/photos/VZGwnv8diLGb1q9n8

As I said, nothing done yet besides disassembly and a light scrub to find out what is the make and model.
It cocks and fires, well, when it was assembled in the beginning :)
TX200 Mk3
HW50

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:27 pm

Good luck.

no avatar
wastrel

Re: PICS!

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 pm

pedro.m.reis wrote:Dont know how to share the pic in the post, so here is the google photos link.

https://goo.gl/photos/VZGwnv8diLGb1q9n8

As I said, nothing done yet besides disassembly and a light scrub to find out what is the make and model.
It cocks and fires, well, when it was assembled in the beginning :)

Not quite sure how to respond to that photo collection, HMM,
Pedro-are you absoloutely certain you wanna throw money & effort at `that`?
good luck to you if you do, but, seriously?
here`s a thought, if you take this project on, could you keep track of the money you spend & the hours it takes you, now, this is not to put you in a bad light, more like to let anyone thinking of a project like this know what they`re in for.
& not to put anyone down here, but if any gun I owned is only capable of 25mm groups at 10m (with Quality pellets no less!) I`d throw it in the bin!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Now that is a challenge :shock:
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

pedro.m.reis

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 pm

ok ok ... I got the message. :) Not worth the € and time.

Im going just to try to take the rust out, I saw the youtube guy using a batery charger to do some magic, maybe i'll try that. Maybe fun to try e no € to spend.
If I get any decent result maybe I'll budget the parts I need.
TX200 Mk3
HW50

no avatar
Mason

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 pm

It is a good gun to practice restoration on; you will learn from it with no worries about making mistakes it as you might with an expensive gun. If you have access to a wire wheel on a bench grinder, I'd use that first to remove the worst of the rust, then try electrolysis to remove the rest as there is no risk of etching the metal (bore) as would happen with acids.
I think it will clean up nicely.