S400 DIY Hamster advice needed

no avatar
Dag

S400 DIY Hamster advice needed

Fri May 12, 2017 7:20 am

As per the title, I have an S400F which I would like to make a hamster for. I don't want to drill the stock so would like any ideas for using the single screw, or at least a longer one, that holds the steelwork and stock together. As an alternative perhaps a strap on cushion?
Has anyone done anything similar or have any suggestions? I only have to use the riflein a handheld position once every two months when my club holds anHFT style competition, so drilling the stock is out for me.
Any ideas most welcome,
Dag

no avatar
Archer50

Re: S400 DIY Hamster advice needed

Fri May 12, 2017 8:21 am

You can certainly use a long M6 bolt - I think that's what Rowan do - but I couldn't find any practical way to stop the hamster rotating in normal use. In the end I drilled the stock.

While I was trying to work out the right size of hamster, I strapped a roughly shaped piece of wood to the stock with reusable cable ties passing over the air cylinder ( not the barrel). I put a thin piece of rubber between the wood and the stock to protect the finish and make the whole thing more secure. It didn't look too good, but worked surprisingly well and the cosmetics could easily have been fixed.

Hope this helps.

Alan

no avatar
Dag

Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm

That does help, thanks Archer. I was also wondering about a soft hamster ( no, not a real one stuffed!) perhaps a sock filled with plastic pellets or similar shape held on with velcro straps . It also crossed my mind whether I could carve/shape a wooden grip, something like a pistol grip withfinger grooves, or even something like the magazine on a sten gun but much shorter.
As mentioned in my OP it really is only for use once every couple of months but if it helps my hold on the rifle I could be tempted to leave it on rather than keep removing it.
Any further suggestions or photos of any diy hamsters would be welcome.
Thanks
Dag :)

no avatar
Bezzer

Sat May 13, 2017 10:05 pm

I've made one for my 400, alloy posts and plate then screwed a piece of wood to the plate so I could experiment with different sizes and shapes if I wanted to. With it being a long M6 bolt replacing the stock fixing bolt you can't really get away with just that one fixing point and expect it to be stable so you really need the extra hole and post, I used a rubber washer to protect the woodwork a bit.
Attachments
setup2.JPG
setup2.JPG (50.21 KiB) Viewed 3502 times

no avatar
Bosun

Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Clearly it might not look very pretty, but for the second post, why not try some form of 'V' cradle under the stock to prevent rotation of the hamster?

For occasional use, it might just do the trick.
Air Arms ProSport 0.177 Walnut, MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44
Air Arms TX200 HC 0.177 Walnut, MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44
Weihrauch HW75 Pistol
Umarex Colt M1911A1 pellet Pistol
Umarex Beretta 92FS pellet Pistol
Swiss Arms P1911 BB Pistol

darran77

Wed May 17, 2017 10:00 am

Bosun wrote:Clearly it might not look very pretty, but for the second post, why not try some form of 'V' cradle under the stock to prevent rotation of the hamster?

For occasional use, it might just do the trick.

My thought too .
daz
IFAC member