S510, De-Cocking, Magazine, etc.

no avatar
Mtl_Biker

S510, De-Cocking, Magazine, etc.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Just trying to figure out the best practices for using my new AA S510... Would appreciate suggestions from those of you with this gun.

It happens often that I take one or two shots and then need to put the gun away for a while (pest control out my back door). That doesn't seem to be a problem because I try not to cock the rifle until I'm ready to shoot. But sometimes I've cocked it (advanced the magazine and loaded a pellet) only to end up not being able to shoot it. And my circumstances are such that I cannot then go outside and shoot one into the ground.

What do you folks do in practice?

I've also found that when removing a magazine the gun gets cocked, and I don't want to leave it that way, even without a pellet in the breech. It's fairly easy to bring the cocking lever back and squeeze/hold the trigger as the cocking lever is returned to closed position. This way the trigger isn't cocked. But in practice, what do you do if you've already loaded a pellet in the breech? You cannot de-cock the gun without advancing the magazine and thus loading another pellet.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sprorter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (Canadian version < 500 fps)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

no avatar
Roger5

Re: S510, De-Cocking, Magazine, etc.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Mtl_Biker wrote:Just trying to figure out the best practices for using my new AA S510... Would appreciate suggestions from those of you with this gun.

It happens often that I take one or two shots and then need to put the gun away for a while (pest control out my back door). That doesn't seem to be a problem because I try not to cock the rifle until I'm ready to shoot. But sometimes I've cocked it (advanced the magazine and loaded a pellet) only to end up not being able to shoot it. And my circumstances are such that I cannot then go outside and shoot one into the ground.

What do you folks do in practice?

I've also found that when removing a magazine the gun gets cocked, and I don't want to leave it that way, even without a pellet in the breech. It's fairly easy to bring the cocking lever back and squeeze/hold the trigger as the cocking lever is returned to closed position. This way the trigger isn't cocked. But in practice, what do you do if you've already loaded a pellet in the breech? You cannot de-cock the gun without advancing the magazine and thus loading another pellet.

Take the mag out and then decock the rifle, if you have left one up the spout, leave an empty chamber in mag when you want to put it back in, hope that explains it. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:25 pm

I have an empty baked bean tin a third full of plumbers mait in my gun cupboard. Lay it on its side on a shelf, stick the muzzle in the tin and fire the pellet. Wear safety glasses if you like (my specs are polycarb). Worst case the base of the tin gets a dent. Havent tried it with FAC rifle!.

You might call it duct putty or something!

Blackbaronfish

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Rolled up pair of jeans make a very quiet pellet catcher.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

gdavison

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 pm

Like others i would never leave it with "one up the spout" .. IMO has to be fired off to save any future confusion .. if you are willing to take your pest control shots .. just put a soft target out on "your range" and when done if still cocked .. take the shot
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
Mtl_Biker

Mon May 01, 2017 1:46 am

Roger5 wrote:Take the mag out and then decock the rifle, if you have left one up the spout, leave an empty chamber in mag when you want to put it back in, hope that explains it. Rog

Thanks Roger! That's what I'll probably end up doing.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Crosman P1377 & P1322

no avatar
Mtl_Biker

Mon May 01, 2017 1:56 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:I have an empty baked bean tin a third full of plumbers mait in my gun cupboard. Lay it on its side on a shelf, stick the muzzle in the tin and fire the pellet. Wear safety glasses if you like (my specs are polycarb). Worst case the base of the tin gets a dent. Havent tried it with FAC rifle!.

You might call it duct putty or something!

Peter, I've absolutely no idea what "plumbers mait" is... too bad you don't speak real (Canadian) English! :lol: :lol: Thank you for explaining that it was duct putty (what we call duct seal).

Whatever it is, I don't think I'd want to try that with this gun.... it REALLY delivers a whallop! FAC and all. It was doing 960 fps with AA Diabolo Field pellets! From 21 yards it shot clear through a 3/4" hard plywood and part way through another. I kinda like Roger's suggestion as I think it would work better for me in practice. (Although I too hate to leave a pellet loaded in the barrel.)
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Crosman P1377 & P1322

no avatar
Mtl_Biker

Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:Rolled up pair of jeans make a very quiet pellet catcher.

BBF

Even with an Xtra FAC gun with no silencer (very illegal here in Canada)?
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Crosman P1377 & P1322

no avatar
Mtl_Biker

Mon May 01, 2017 2:06 am

gdavison wrote:Like others i would never leave it with "one up the spout" .. IMO has to be fired off to save any future confusion .. if you are willing to take your pest control shots .. just put a soft target out on "your range" and when done if still cocked .. take the shot

The reason I wouldn't want to take the shot is noise. It would mean a neighbour night be out on his property and with an un-silenced Xtra FAC gun, especially now before the trees get their (sound muffling) leaves back. And I just don't want to risk giving them any concern.

But I too don't like the idea of leaving a pellet loaded in the gun. But de-cocked, safety on, no magazine installed and considering that I live alone, well, I think it's fairly safe. Plus making sure that the next magazine I insert has the appropriate empty chamber to prevent the possibility of loading double pellets. Not a big risk I think.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Crosman P1377 & P1322

no avatar
Roger5

Mon May 01, 2017 6:52 am

Mtl_Biker wrote:
Roger5 wrote:Take the mag out and then decock the rifle, if you have left one up the spout, leave an empty chamber in mag when you want to put it back in, hope that explains it. Rog

Thanks Roger! That's what I'll probably end up doing.

Or you could use a cleaning rod down the barrel, cock the rifle, pop the pellet out, and decock, all nice and safe again, :D Rog