Air Pistol recommendation

Kwaka

Re: Air Pistol recommendation

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Bought an HW40 today for £79.00 from a local dealer, cant wait until Thursday now to try it out.
S400 Classic .22
Beretta 682 Gold E 30" O/U M/C
Sabel SxS 28" F/C
CZ 455 Varmint .22lr SAK moderator

Kwaka

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 am

I tried the pistol out at my club on Thursday and when it worked it was great!

Unfortunately it did not always cock, it either did not generate any pressure or if you paused half way through cocking it you could feel and hear the air leaking out! However when it did work it was great fun.
The dealer has had it back and are going to replace the seals, i can pick it up on Friday.

When on the range one of the members who has, shall we say, has strong opinions :D :D remarked that i had bought cheap! I replied that i couldn't exactly justify £1,500 on a new discipline, to which he grudgingly agreed!

Later on I was looking at his target, I have to say it looked no better than mine! :D :D Who's to say cheap doesn't work! lol

Well in for a penny.... I have entered the clubs pistol competition, it's handicapped (more than my lack of ability :D :D ) so it should be good for a laugh.

Now all i have to do is find a suitable time to tell the wife i've bought it! :o :o
S400 Classic .22
Sabel SxS 28" F/C

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 am

The great thing about handicapped comps for a beginner especially if they use McCrae is that by the time you get to round 10 you have improved so much you will do very well!
Make sure you open completely to let air in before closing. Some people do the quick couple of half closes to "warm up" and wet the main O ring before fully opening again and finally closing quickly.
Wherever you're hiding it from the missus they like warm storage.
And also remember it looks like a Glock ie its an imitation firearm, so for gawds sake only take it out of the case in your home or at the club, not in the pub or at work!

no avatar
Bosun

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:16 am

Well done Kwaka and best of luck for the competition. You may wonder why you can't hold the pistol as still as you want, well, neither can the experts, it's just that they can hold it stiller than you. Do let us know how you get on?

I had a similar issue with my HW75. New set of seals, easy to fit, back in business. If it's the same as my HW75, don't forget to give the felt washer a couple of drops of oil (I use Parker hale Express) every 500 shots.
Air Arms ProSport 0.177 Walnut, MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44
Air Arms TX200 HC 0.177 Walnut, MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44
Weihrauch HW75 Pistol
Umarex Colt M1911A1 pellet Pistol
Umarex Beretta 92FS pellet Pistol
Swiss Arms P1911 BB Pistol

Kwaka

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:The great thing about handicapped comps for a beginner especially if they use McCrae is that by the time you get to round 10 you have improved so much you will do very well! I figured i couldn't lose, in just having a go whatever i achieve i achieve!
Make sure you open completely to let air in before closing. Some people do the quick couple of half closes to "warm up" and wet the main O ring before fully opening again and finally closing quickly. Before every shot or just the first few? I have to admit i would not fire first of all and then after about ten or fifteen tries (opening and closing fully) it eventually generated pressure, when i went back in to the range later so a friend could have a go it did not work the first time then after that it was okay just a bit variable in the effort to close it.
Wherever you're hiding it from the missus they like warm storage. Its in the cabinet with the other rifles in the back bedroom
And also remember it looks like a Glock ie its an imitation firearm, so for gawds sake only take it out of the case in your home or at the club, not in the pub or at work!
Indeed, always cased in public!
S400 Classic .22
Sabel SxS 28" F/C

Kwaka

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 am

Bosun wrote:Well done Kwaka and best of luck for the competition. You may wonder why you can't hold the pistol as still as you want, well, neither can the experts, it's just that they can hold it stiller than you. Do let us know how you get on? Will do,
i was surprised by how quickly your arm gets tired!
I had a similar issue with my HW75. New set of seals, easy to fit, back in business. If it's the same as my HW75, don't forget to give the felt washer a couple of drops of oil (I use Parker hale Express) every 500 shots.
Thanks, have just been reading the owners manual (downloaded from the 'net) i'm wondering if that was the problem, the dealer had had it on a shelf for a while?
S400 Classic .22
Sabel SxS 28" F/C

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:29 am

Sounds like the main o ring was dry or worn. Take Bosun's advice. I use Napier Power.
By the time it gets to 90 degrees to the frame you should be able to feel the pressure and it should bounce back.

Kwaka

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:20 am

So the dealer replaced the seals free of charge and i got the pistol back the week before last, typically one day after i could have used it at the range!

I was in Serbia on business last week so today is the first chance that i will get to try it out. When cocking it, it definitely feels different; more positive, so im looking forward to tonight!
S400 Classic .22
Sabel SxS 28" F/C

Kwaka

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:09 pm

It works a treat, just shot my first competition card. Scored a 68. Very pleased with that.
S400 Classic .22
Sabel SxS 28" F/C