CCL gunstock conditioning oil

no avatar
ChrisW

CCL gunstock conditioning oil

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Bit of a random question. I've received a bottle of CCL Gunstock Conditioning Oil that I'm planning to use on the new walnut TX stock soon, but what should this oil look like? The bottle I have is an opaque light brown liquid; is this right, I was expecting it to look clear? I'm nervous enough about possibly buggering this beautiful stock up without the possibility of being onto an expensive loser of an attempt before I even start!

Geordie

Re: CCL gunstock conditioning oil

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:57 pm

The colour is right, I've heard its good stuff........ ;)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
ChrisW

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 pm

That's a relief, thanks! I read up a lot about oiling stocks and the CCL product stood out as being touted as the most user friendly and not giving a high gloss finish. I'll stick some before and after pictures up if anyone is interested once I get round to the job on my next stint of time off.

gdavison

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 pm

best description is "gunge" but shake bottle, warm it up, use sparingly, lots of rubbing ... amazing results
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

Blackbaronfish

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:17 am

It should be free flowing when fresh. Any that's starting to thicken up needs to be binned.
Very good stuff when used correctly. Put a tiny bit on your palm and rub away. Get plenty of warmth into it then leave in a warm place to dry off. If its sticky between coats you have either put too much on or it hasn't been left to dry enough.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
ChrisW

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:16 pm

The first coat has gone on today. Two drops in the palm of the hands, applied as per the instructions. It doesn't look any different just yet, but I think the wood definitely feels smoother. Even though it already feels dry, I'll be patient and the second coat will be going on tomorrow as the instructions say. So far so good though :D

Geordie

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 pm

It really is good stuff, I've finished over a hundred stocks with it over the years. The wood is always thirsty so the first couple of coats sink in quickly. Your doing it exactly the right way though, little bit of oil every 24 hours and let it dry thoroughly in between coats.

I have a few examples in the below link that were finished with CCL.........

viewforum.php?f=12
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
ChrisW

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:51 pm

That's three coats on and I'm definitely starting to see the difference now. The oil is much easier to use than I was expecting too which is good!

no avatar
ChrisW

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:45 pm

The TX has been say in the cabinet drying for the last week or so, but now it looks great! If I can work out getting photos up, I took a couple at the range tonight that show how well the grain and colours have come out (in my opinion).