Cleaning regularity

no avatar
MancTony

Cleaning regularity

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:06 pm

So what is the advised time scale for cleaning? I'd like to know for both inside and out? I've had the gun since 2nd Feb and put almost a full tin of pellets through it.

Cheers,

Tony.

no avatar
Bezzer

Re: Cleaning regularity

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:22 pm

You should be wiping it down every time you use it, not just for dirt but fingerprints etc if it got wet then be taking the stock off and wiping it dry/clean all over. If you're on about barrel cleaning note when the accuracy starts to drop off and then do it. Other than that there's little else to concern you with, no real need for stripping and lubing unless you get a problem.

no avatar
MancTony

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:08 pm

I've been wiping it down with a dry tea towl to get rid of fingerprints and it hasn't got wet yet. I'm a bit anal when it comes to keeping anything I own clean. Thanks for the advice pal.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Add a drop of oil too the cloth,you may remove the finger prints but it will leave a little salt behind from the sweat from your hands.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Napier Power airgun oil like the sample of blue oil that came with the rifle also comes in spray cans. Smells like a Parisienne boudoir but can be sprayed all over including the stock before wiping down.
See also the Napier video on cleaning.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=gDujwwHR8Yk
Use the spray instead of sachets if you dont want to buy the kit. I just bought the Napier patches (2 for 177 and 3 for 22 barels) and use crabline for pull thru.

no avatar
MancTony

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Cheers fellas. I was gonna buy the Napier cleaning kit. That has a sample of the pre-oiled wipes. But yeah, I'd buy the spray oil as well. Thanks for all your replies lads, much appreciated.

no avatar
Brooksy

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:25 pm

I use Ballistol, it's good for shoes, boots and your dog's paws too.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:32 pm

MancTony wrote:Cheers fellas. I was gonna buy the Napier cleaning kit. That has a sample of the pre-oiled wipes. But yeah, I'd buy the spray oil as well. Thanks for all your replies lads, much appreciated.

Make sure its the Napier Airgun pullthru kit which has the Napier Power oil spray. The Napier Universal Rifle Kit is for firearms and has different solvents you dont need.

no avatar
MancTony

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
MancTony wrote:Cheers fellas. I was gonna buy the Napier cleaning kit. That has a sample of the pre-oiled wipes. But yeah, I'd buy the spray oil as well. Thanks for all your replies lads, much appreciated.

Make sure its the Napier Airgun pullthru kit which has the Napier Power oil spray. The Napier Universal Rifle Kit is for firearms and has different solvents you dont need.

Yeah it's defintely for air guns.

no avatar
ChrisW

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:26 pm

I picked up the Napper airgun cleaning kit as for me it covers everything.

I've used the pull through kit on all of my rifles when I bought them to clear out any crud from the factory, but the barrels have never been cleaned again since as in my opinion they just don't need it.

The pre treated cleaning patches that came with the kit got put in the toolbox for taking to the range, but I've never had call to use them yet.

I added a few large soft cotton cloths to the kit for wiping the rifles down after every use. One is sprayed with the included aerosol spray whenever it needs it for and this is for wiping over the rifles to remove fingerprints and protect the metalwork; the 'dry' cloths are for just general wiping down.

This is all I do with mine really and they all look as mint as the day I got them.