Falcon Menace

no avatar
zippy

Re: Falcon Menace

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:00 am

The glass on the Falcon 4-18x44 is a little better on high magnification range.

The turret clicks were made more audible on the new x18 scopes, although, a little silicone grease on the O-ring under the turret was all that was needed on older models.

The Falcon menace is the older name given to these scopes, However, Nick at Falcon Optics has updated the website and made it more upmarket. The very recent newer model is now got the plus + after the x18 and therefore reads
4-18x44 x18+ unsure exactly what the plus sigh means but the elevation turret is different than other models, I believe this was changed to help center-fire, bolt-action rifles move and return to zero easier during very long range shots and give easier accurate movement of the turret.

The First Focal Plane scopes are very expensive and cost more to manufacture as they have more precision moving parts like gearboxes etc. to move the lenses acutely to make sure the scope tracks correctly during adjustment because the reticle reduces shrink and grows in size so the reticle is always true at any magnification.

The Falcon scope are an entry level FFP scopes and give the chance for a novice to try one, they offer value for money as they cost a fraction of the price of a more expensive make and model like Vortex, Schmidt & bender, Nightforce.

Bearing in mind if you are mounting Falcon scope on an Air rifle the falcon is fine at these ranges, although, weight on a spring rifle maybe an issue.

Falcons after sales service are excellent for Nick at falcon optics and a replacement is given if you should ever have any issues.

I compared my Falcon x18 to my way more expensive Bushnell glass, and there's not much in it if anything at all, maybe a tiny bit better? but not 3 times the price better... If you get my meaning. anyway, Bushnell scopes are now manufactured in china with obviously decent quality control.

I mean let's face it,,, we are using theses scopes on Air rifles, rimfire and hunting centerfire rifles at mid ranges,,, we are not snipers... LOL
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
robertt

Re: Falcon Menace

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Falcon 4x18x44 FFP arrived yesterday and zeroed in today.
Very impressed. Optics very clear. Can't say I can notice extra weight.
With medium hawķe mounts front bell clears by about 3mm.
Early days but a lot of scope for £199.
Will be field testing on greys in the morning.

Update - 2 shots , 2 headshot greys.
:D