How to remove Altaros Regulator

no avatar
Archer50

How to remove Altaros Regulator

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:04 am

I'm about to fit an Altaros regulator in my S400. From what I've read on here I'm guessing that I'll need to do some fine adjusting of the regulator and might need to get it out of the cylinder several times. What is the best way to do this ?

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Re: How to remove Altaros Regulator

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:24 am

Archer50 wrote:I'm about to fit an Altaros regulator in my S400. From what I've read on here I'm guessing that I'll need to do some fine adjusting of the regulator and might need to get it out of the cylinder several times. What is the best way to do this ?

Alan

You don't have to keep taking it out, I remove the fill valve 10mm spanner, then remove fill valve body, you then use a long handled screwdriver to adjust reg, hope that helps. Rog

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:46 am

Roger5 wrote:
Archer50 wrote:I'm about to fit an Altaros regulator in my S400. From what I've read on here I'm guessing that I'll need to do some fine adjusting of the regulator and might need to get it out of the cylinder several times. What is the best way to do this ?

Alan

You don't have to keep taking it out, I remove the fill valve 10mm spanner, then remove fill valve body, you then use a long handled screwdriver to adjust reg, hope that helps. Rog

Just realised you will ( if you don't already have one ) need a tool for getting the fill body off xTxair.com do one.Rog

no avatar
Archer50

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Just for the record, I couldn't get the filler off the cylinder. Someone has replaced the standard one with a nipple-type connector that had no depressions at all to attach a standard tool or circlip pliers. The hole behind the filling nipple itself is only about 3mm, so no chance of adjusting anything through that!

Modifying a tip from Michal Jecny of Altaros, I used air pressure. First I plugged the regulator with a small wad of kitchen towel pushed into the brass cup with my little finger, then connected the air bottle, pointed the tube at a cushion on the floor about 12 inches away and very gently opened the valve. The regulator came out without any problems, not even a damaged o-ring. I did this four times in all.

If you do try this method, please make sure you point the cylinder at something soft and be very sure that no part of you is in the way. The regulator comes out at a hell of a speed, and it would do real damage if it hit you. Please don't try it like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_WaHhTbNwI. I did the first time - it was an underwear-changing moment although the physio says I should be able to use my thumb again in a couple of days :shock:

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:20 pm

Roger5 wrote:
Roger5 wrote:

Alan

Just realised you will ( if you don't already have one ) need a tool for getting the fill body off xTxair.com do one.Rog

The 10 mm spanner is to take off the fill valve, you still need to take off the fill valve body, once you have done that you can look down to the reg adjuster, and just turn It to where you want it, there's no need to keep taking it out. Rog

no avatar
Archer50

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Thanks Rog, I understand what you mean. but even with the fill valve off, there was no way I could see to get the entire end off. I don't know if it's a non-standard unit and judging by its appearance I suspect it is epoxied or bonded in, but there is absolutely nothing, internal or external that would allow any tool I have ever heard of to get a purchase. The 10 mm spanner took the valve off, then just a solid plate with a 3mm hole and no way of going further.

Anyway, with my technique you can have target practice with the biggest pellet you've ever seen :D

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 pm

That seems really strange to me, the standard one has two holes in it, it must be some sort of after market cylinder, maybe A&M? .Rog