Air Rifle Security

gdavison

Air Rifle Security

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:58 pm

After this mornings "Good Morning Britain , " FOLLOWING THE DEATH OF A 13 YEAR OLD IN MAY , THERE ARE FRESH CALLS FOR A TOTAL [my spelling fix] BAN ON AIR GUNS "." which has lead to a large discussion thread on ANO forum, during which I asked a question .. which I want to ask here too as folk here are generally more logical and informed ..

I don't have kids, we don't have any under 18's visit the house (filthy horrible things says I in my best Willy Wonka voice), so I had considered my locked house and no permission to enter as my "due care" for keeping unwanted < 18 year olds away from my air rifles .. but reading the thread it would seem that is not "enough" .. so what is ?

A locked room within the locked house ?

A locked wooden cabinet within the locked house ?

A locked wooden cabinet within a locked room within the locked house ?

A locked metal case within the locked house ?

A locked metal case within a locked room within the locked house ?

A locked commercially sold "gun safe" within the locked house ?

Answers please to the above ... and then to be completely uppity what if i put a gun safe in my attached brick garage (which is actually no longer a "garage" but is converted to be a pinball / recreational room), but as the pinball room also stores all my tools and some < 18 year old breaks in to my locked home, and then breaks into the pinball room and uses the tools to then break open the gun safe .. did I do enough ?

TL:DR .. whats enough ?
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Air Rifle Security

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:31 pm

I have 3 kids well adults now they were taught from an early age that my air rifles werent toys and they were not too be touched under any circumstances.
Was that enough,hell no they were still locked away in a cupboard with only one key that was always in my possession.

I think all air weapons should be kept under lock and key as responsible shooters that is the least we can do.
I dont think it needs too be a gun safe for air rifles but locked out of sight would be a start.

I have a fac licence my house has cctv is alarmed and a metal gun safe all of that is too keep my rifles secure.
I doubt i would have gone too all that expence for just my air rifles but they would still be locked out of sight.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

darran77

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:40 pm

You can never be too careful when it comes to your guns, we have no children but plenty of nieces and nephews. so my guns have always been locked away out of sight.
I am looking at a gun cabinet for a future move as i would also like to get a FAC air rifle so something future proofed will be in order. Currently my guns are in a commercial locker with some extra security devices attached which is out of sight, and i still worry if it's enough.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
Brooksy

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Mine are in a locked cupboard which is built into the wall.

However, I have Kinder eggs in a bowl on the kitchen work top and they are banned in America.

We all seem to pay the price of stupidity on a regular basis.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

gdavison

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:01 pm

I decided to just sort it and just ordered a Brattonsound

Blackbaronfish

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:51 pm

If you are buying a cabinet for your rifles, then I would suggest its fitted ready for fac at a later date. It needs to be attached to the fabric of your house ,in a room that's within your dwelling. No casual visitors should be able to see it as well as any one passing by.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:56 pm

I stupidly turned down an old gun safe wih a padlock closure which made it illegal under modern FAC rules but it would have been perfect for me as I will never go FAC. There may be some around still.

gdavison

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:25 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:If you are buying a cabinet for your rifles, then I would suggest its fitted ready for fac at a later date. It needs to be attached to the fabric of your house ,in a room that's within your dwelling. No casual visitors should be able to see it as well as any one passing by.

BBF

good idea TY

Would installing said cabinet in a Brick built garage which is attached to the house (by the utility room) and which is no longer used as a garage - its a pinball and exercise room with no windows be counted as "in a room that's within your dwelling". It still has the up and over doors but they are locked and never used

gdavison

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:47 am

gdavison wrote:
Blackbaronfish wrote:If you are buying a cabinet for your rifles, then I would suggest its fitted ready for fac at a later date. It needs to be attached to the fabric of your house ,in a room that's within your dwelling. No casual visitors should be able to see it as well as any one passing by.

BBF

good idea TY

Would installing said cabinet in a Brick built garage which is attached to the house (by the utility room) and which is no longer used as a garage - its a pinball and exercise room with no windows be counted as "in a room that's within your dwelling". It still has the up and over doors but they are locked and never used

I think I answered my own question .. from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117794/security_leaflet.pdf

"For preference it should be in a room or area that does not have direct access to the outside of a building." and "It should not be in a garage, shed or other outside building, except in certain circumstances" While the installation advice is worded to be advice and not rules, the leaflet does provide a "cop out" and says "This leaflet only offers general advice. Your local police will consider each case individually, and must look at the overall security in the light of the circumstances in each case. "

no avatar
granville

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:16 pm

in a gun cabinet locked , fixed to the building.
keys in another key safe.