Knobs.

mikeygasbag

Knobs.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:18 am

Yesterday afternoon, Buster and I went up to the Old Oswestry Racecourse for a couple of hours leisurely stroll. The last stretch that takes us back to the car park, runs adjacent to a small country lane that gives access to the car park. From quite some distance away, I could hear the sound of one of the local boy racers heading in our direction. Sure enough, a lowered and very loud little silver Citroen, roared past us, the car laden with hoodies.

Buster and I were about 50 yards away from the car park when I heard the unmistakeable sound of a re-coiling air rifle being fired. When we got to the car park, the little silver Citroen had been parked discreetly in the far corner. A lady who was walking her greyhound, stopped and stared at the car for a moment, looking somewhat scared. That's when I heard the air rifle being fired again. Without hesitation, and perhaps rather foolishly, I strode purposely over to the Citroen. That's when I saw that the drivers door was open and I could see the barrel of an air rifle sticking out. I shouted out to stop shooting immediately. On reaching the drivers door, I asked the tracky clad yoof what the hell did he think he was doing. He replied that it was only an air rifle and that he was doing no harm. I 'suggested' that he made certain the rifle was safe and then put in the boot. I informed him he was shooting in a public place and that the offence he was committing, armed trespass, carried a minimum 5 year jail sentence. All of a sudden, he started to look very sheepish, and so did all of his tracky clad, hoody mates, especially when I informed them that they could also be charged with aiding and abetting armed trespass.

Once the rifle had been safely stashed away, I then told them that air rifle shooting was my hobby, and that it was people like them who gave everyone else in the sport a bad name. I laid it on really thick, without trying to be too aggressive, as I have been told I can be. I also told them they were very lucky, as I had my mobile phone on me and I should really have rung the police and let them deal with the matter. The young driver almost had tears in his eyes. I suggested that if they wanted to shoot an air rifle, they should go to an organised range or join a club. I finished off with telling them that I had noted the car registration number, and should I hear of anyone discharging an air rifle in a public place, in or anywhere near Oswestry, that I would report the car registration to the police.

The young driver thanked me, got back in the car, and drove off. Strangely enough, he drove off slowly and quietly, certainly not the same way he drove into the car park. His hoodie yoof mates were all looking very sullen too (nothing odd there then). Let's just hope that have learned an invaluable lesson, but somehow I doubt it.

Mike.
Founder member ~ Fort Airgun Club

Air Arms HFT500 .177, Sightron SIII 10x42 MMD
Air Arms Ultimate Sporter .177, Sightron SIII 10x42 MMD

bgaltd

Re: Knobs.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:53 am

been there , done that Mike :shock: :shock: . got told to f off :oops: :oops: .

give buster a pat and a treat for me :D :D .

take care and speak soon .

Blackbaronfish

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:16 am

By the sound of it they may well have listened . Its not always a wise move to approach them, but I would have done the same.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

mikeygasbag

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:32 am

bgaltd wrote:

give buster a pat and a treat for me :D :D .

Consider it done Julian. :)

Mike.

no avatar
Grenade

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Mike,
I think you might have got the point across. But you need to be careful. A Lot of the kids around here have no respect for guns, They play with them everyday, Don't they? The video games are so realistic that they have taught them how to aim a gun and pull the trigger. They have no concept of the consequence of pulling a trigger. Or some don't care.
I'm glad Buster is doing well, Give him a pat and another cookie from me.

Junaid
J
AA HFT 500/Hawke 4X14x50
TX200 Fac .177 Hawke 4 x 12 x 44
Daystate Regal .22 30 fpe Hawke Tac 30 6.5 X 20
Daystate Airwolf Tactical .25 Hawke Tac 30 6.5 x 20
Daystate Wolverine 303
FWB 300 universal
Webley Hurricane .177
1 or 2 or 20 powder burners

no avatar
Grenade

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Sorry, forgot you were in the UK. A cookie here, would be a biscuit there.

Junaid
J
AA HFT 500/Hawke 4X14x50
TX200 Fac .177 Hawke 4 x 12 x 44
Daystate Regal .22 30 fpe Hawke Tac 30 6.5 X 20
Daystate Airwolf Tactical .25 Hawke Tac 30 6.5 x 20
Daystate Wolverine 303
FWB 300 universal
Webley Hurricane .177
1 or 2 or 20 powder burners

mikeygasbag

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:34 pm

Grenade wrote:Sorry, forgot you were in the UK. A cookie here, would be a biscuit there.

Junaid

LOL! :D

He'll have yours tomorrow Junaid. He's a very special little fella, but I always try my best to keep him in good shape, especially now he's racking up the years.

Mike.

no avatar
piggy589

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:11 pm

As apprentices in the motor trade we'd often be sent to the chip shop at lunch time,two up in a Mk1 Transit,the ones with the sliding doors.
One day while passing double parked cars the nearside door decided to part company with the van damaging several stationary vehicles.
One of the owners burst out of his front door to survey the carnage only for my passenger to jump out pointing a Gat pistol at him and bellow "back off!".
We took off in a hurry having thrown the offending article in the back,it immediately occured to me the van was covered the firm's livery from one end to the other.
Sure enough the police arrived at our works about an hour later, having received a complaint of threats to kill.
My painter friend ended up accepting a police caution, I can't help but think the reponse to a similar incident nowadays would be far more robust.

Pav

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:41 pm

All to sadly, this is the type of behaviour that gets the sport a bad reputation. :evil: Knowing the boy racer youth of today, I'm not sure I would have approached them. Many testosterone raging adolescents of today have no respect for anyone or anything, especially a mature adult ticking them off in front of their mates. All I can say is well done to you and Buster and lets hope your advice hit home.
S510 177 Walnut Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 IR AO
TX200HC 22 CS500 Hawke 3-12x50 IR AO
TX200HC 177 CS700 Falcon 4-14x44FFP IR
TX200 177 Walnut 4-16x44 TargetMaster
HW98 177 Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44
HW77 22 Beach 3-12x50 AO Mountmaster
BASC Member

raygun

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:53 pm

I feel sorry for the poor lads in the car.

Approached by a massive hulking brute of a man, with a "Bottling" scar down his face. Holding back a snarling, growling ferocious dog.
They could have been traumatised for life. Permanently affected and unable to venture out in the open ever again.

On the other hand they came across Mike and Buster who explained things to them in a positive and convincing manner. Well done Mike.

ATB
Ray.