Recommendations for AA for lady

gdavison

Recommendations for AA for lady

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:53 pm

My wife has decided to join my new hobby.. :roll:

Today I introduced her to my S510 Superlite, to which she (TBH for some one who has never shot a air weapon before) did really well with .. paper targets out at 20yds and she was getting 10 in a 5p coin shooting seated from a bag on the BBQ table and before rain stopped play did a 3*10, 4*9, 2* 8 and a 5 shooting seated with elbows rested on table .. and she admits the 5 was one shot she should not have took and relaxed again before taking it

However she is left eye dominant and I am right ey, both of us right handed. She was shooting left handed, so although the Superlite worked being ambi, the action was "awkward" for her, not impossible, just awkward

I know the Galahad allows the action to be swapped to the LHS, so I showed her the Galahad on the website while explaining all the options re LHS / RHS and shockingly she loved the tecky look to it .. So do any other AA "left handed" rifles put the action "on the others side" ??

She also likes the look of the FX wildcat :shock:
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
Zeewulf

Re: Recommendations for AA for lady

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:56 pm

The old MPR FT can be fitted with a left hand bolt from Rowan Engineering. Stock is Ambi also.

http://rowanengineering.com/products1.htm

Not too sure how it works in practice as i'm right handed. Maybe someone on here can clarify.
Air Arms MPR FT

no avatar
robertt

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 am

Eye dominance does not effect the use of a rifle.
I have a dominant left eye but it's closed when I look through the scope.

gdavison

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 am

robertt wrote:Eye dominance does not effect the use of a rifle.
I have a dominant left eye but it's closed when I look through the scope.

TY - Our Club Instructor also advised her to go with hand dominance (ie shoot RH) and close left eye

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:13 am

http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... 45795ffb9d

10m folk have it sorted. Maybe Rowan should make a scope rail side shifter? There must be right handers with very poor RH eye. Bugger to get it in the case though!

gdavison

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:17 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=104&sprache=1&seite=83&produktID=891&PHPSESSID=4f373251a2ef0e6de129bb45795ffb9d

10m folk have it sorted. Maybe Rowan should make a scope rail side shifter? There must be right handers with very poor RH eye. Bugger to get it in the case though!

:shock:

:D that is some serious engineering .. re the "Many (senior) people have different vision in each eye" there is no way I am calling the wife "senior" :D

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:55 pm

actually its been done. .. as a one-off

http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/o ... nting-rai/

no avatar
wastrel

Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:actually its been done. .. as a one-off

that modification would make any rifle fitted with it VERY range specific & not something I`d recommend unless your missus is gonna shoot at that one distance only, :?: how would she/you know for sure?
am I the only shooter here who shoots through a scope with both eyes open-able to concentrate on the target with my left as I raise the gun then focus through the scope with my right? (which BTW almost always has the target sat in it as nice as you like!) it was pointed out to me many years ago that this is quite unusual but, if I do close my left eye I find difficult to `aquire` the target in the scope & sometimes I`m miles off (figuratively) & sometimes I simply can`t find the target at all using just the scope :shock:
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
gary martin

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:12 pm

wastrel wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:actually its been done. .. as a one-off

that modification would make any rifle fitted with it VERY range specific & not something I`d recommend unless your missus is gonna shoot at that one distance only, :?: how would she/you know for sure?
am I the only shooter here who shoots through a scope with both eyes open-able to concentrate on the target with my left as I raise the gun then focus through the scope with my right? (which BTW almost always has the target sat in it as nice as you like!) it was pointed out to me many years ago that this is quite unusual but, if I do close my left eye I find difficult to `aquire` the target in the scope & sometimes I`m miles off (figuratively) & sometimes I simply can`t find the target at all using just the scope :shock:

you should shoot with both eyes open. Shutting one eye creates strain. Shooting with both eyes creates a relaxed state. 10 M target shooters use a blanking device on their non sight eye to allow them to focus on the target whilst having both eyes open.
Like yourself I find it unnatural to shoot with one eye closed, with both open I can see the effects of wind on grass/trees downrange allowing me to make decisions on how much windage to allow.
Gary

gdavison

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Dont worry chaps I think Petes posts where to show the lengths some folk have gone to with complexity for various reasons .. thats not on the cards here. :D

For now she is going to shoot right handed and right eyed with left eye closed as her eye dominance changed sides a few years ago any way (she is a keen photographer - always shot pictures with right eye and then a camera she had "worked better" to her left eye and she "flipped" her eye dominance to left). So going right eyed which requires her to close left eye for now and once she can we will go for both eyes open