s510 xtra fac accuracy issues

no avatar
Roger5

Re: s510 xtra fac accuracy issues

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm

The shroud just unscrews, rubber gloves and heat,once off roll it down a flat surface, a new one from A/A wobbled like anything, I was wondering if I could get it straitened at an engineering shop, I used to do this every time I bent the forks on my motorbike. Rog

no avatar
mark holding

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:10 pm

At least it looks like you've found the problem. I hope that you can sort it out OK. You should probably try it with the shroud off to see if it is still not grouping right. Second hand rifles are probably best to have a barrel clean to start off with, then to shoot some rounds down the barrel to lead them up again. If your high power settings are shooting supersonic, you could get unstable pellets, so a heavier pellet, or lowered power setting could help. Good luck, and keep us up to date on how you get on with it.

no avatar
BforBarney

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:32 pm

mark holding wrote:At least it looks like you've found the problem. I hope that you can sort it out OK. You should probably try it with the shroud off to see if it is still not grouping right. Second hand rifles are probably best to have a barrel clean to start off with, then to shoot some rounds down the barrel to lead them up again. If your high power settings are shooting supersonic, you could get unstable pellets, so a heavier pellet, or lowered power setting could help. Good luck, and keep us up to date on how you get on with it.

No I haven't narrowed it down :( checked the shroud today it seems to be perfectly aligned, also changed the breech seal, it's still shooting terrible, two possible thing I'm thinking of now, 1st off the o-rings in the shroud, maybe the barrel could be moving when I shoot it, and 2nd the "hammer rod" if that's the right term, could be greasy and not sliding freely, it's very strange as I shot in .3inch 10 shot group today at 30yard but it was unrepeatable after that, it's really winding me up these rifle's aren't cheap, if I can't fix it I'll have to bring it back to the dealer and trade it for a new one, which means 6 hours driving and waiting another month for a new licence :(

What the best way to get the shroud baffles out?

Gnome of the Woods

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Don't forget the o-rings power adjuster, they could be letting by.
Artist formally know as Gnome of the Woods

no avatar
BforBarney

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Gnome of the Woods wrote:Don't forget the o-rings power adjuster, they could be letting by.

Thanks, any idea how I get that out, do I have to take the air cylinder off?

Gnome of the Woods

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Cannot remember! :?
Will look tomorrow and try to remember how I did it! Cylinder stays on but let all the air out by dry firing before doing any work on as the barrel and block have to come off from memory.
Artist formally know as Gnome of the Woods

no avatar
BforBarney

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:38 pm

I got the hammer spring section open and its in a terrible state i could feel lumps of rust or hardened grease on the rod, had to use 1200grit sandpaper to smothen it out.

no avatar
BforBarney

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 am

Maybe, just maybe I have it sorted :D

I'm surprised the jsb 15.9 gr didn't shoot better and 5 of the bisley mags went in one hole followed by 5 flyers but the 18gr diabolo's did well 13mm 6 shot group at 43yards in breezy conditions, so maybe now it's down to pellet choice, I'm waiting on a tin of jsb 18gr pellets and some pellet lube, so hopefully they'll do the business.

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:11 am

You don't have to shoot it down to get all of the air out of cylinder, just crack gauge mount bolt and undo slowly until gauge says empty, simples Rog

Blackbaronfish

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:23 am

Roger5 wrote:You don't have to shoot it down to get all of the air out of cylinder, just crack gauge mount bolt and undo slowly until gauge says empty, simples Rog

Not advisable in my book :shock:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started