TX200 Project

Nickw

TX200 Project

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi,

I have just acquired a second hand air arms TX200 and have stripped it down to fit a Welsh Willy spring kit and replace to breach seals, piston seal and the front a rear bearings.

This is the first time I have done this so please bear with me.

Is there an easy way to fit the piston seal ? It was difficult to remove the old one and I know fitting the new one when it arrives is going to be a pig.

With the breach seals, is it just a case of gently prying out the old ones and replacing them with the new ?

and last but probably least, The piston itself when removed feels rough (it is machined that way) is it worth giving it a few spins with some emery cloth to smooth it out a little?

Cheers
Nick
Attachments
TX.jpg
TX.jpg (153.56 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
Air arms S200 Mk3 1.77
Weihrauch HW 97 KT 1.77
Air Arms TX200 Carbine L/H .22

Timmytree

Re: TX200 Project

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Hi Nick, there is a special tool for the piston seal but you can manage without. I know one of the other members on here (Roadrunner) made use of an icing nozzle from the kitchen to slide the seal onto the flange, you may need to grease the seal but clean it well after it's fitted.
Breech seals can be winkled out with a dental pick, you can get them in most poundshops now. They are just a pushfit.
The piston usually has a rough area between the seal and rear bearing, it doesn't touch the comp tube so any smoothing out will be cosmetic and have no effect on the gun.

no avatar
doggo

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm

HI nick the last piston seal i did on my prosport i dropped into boiling water for a couple of mins,went on ok atb andy

eddie666

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:19 pm

the seal , i just put it on a angle then pushed it over get some one to hold the piston if you can or wrap it in a rag and put it in a vice ( not to tight )
the piston , were its ruff dose not matter as it dose not touch any thing as there is the round plastic ( bearings ) each end of the piston that glides on the in side of the chamber , just very light oil all over the piston but not on the seal, then put the piston in the chamber so when you slide all in again you will not get grease on the seal front.
prosport 177 2015 walnut
tx200 .22 1998 mk2
walther lgv comp ultra 1.77 2014
walther lgu .22 2014

roadrunner

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Regarding the WW kit, ive got one in my prosport, iam out atm but i'll post when i get home

roadrunner

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Have you fitted a WW kit before,if not theres a few things you need to know about the kit, they are good but they have some issues regarding spring life, if you need any help or advise feel free to ask

Nickw

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your help and advise I will give them a try.

*Roadrunner* This is my first journey into air rifle modification so any help would be good. Any suggestions regarding the fitting of the Welsh Willy would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Nick
Air arms S200 Mk3 1.77
Weihrauch HW 97 KT 1.77

Nickw

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:49 pm

*eddie* My 30 day warranty is now null and void :D
Air arms S200 Mk3 1.77
Weihrauch HW 97 KT 1.77

roadrunner

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:34 pm

The first thing you need to know about the kit is the titan spring will shrink by about 5mm, this will happen over about 200 shots and only by shooting the gun, after it shrinks the power can be upped by adding power washers, but i found to many washers caused the rifle to become harsh with no extra power gains,you will also have to take care not to leave the gun cocked by mistake, yes that killed my second spring,my current set up and the best ive had as yet is an uncut titan spring polished on the guide end, no power washers and the thinest slip washer,shot a bit hot until the spring shrunk but has settled nicely at 11.5 fb with AA express 7.9 grn
to fit the kit, wash all the grease away with white spirit not turps though, replace any seals, dont polish the piston or the inside of the comp tube,waste of time,use the moly slide on the piston slip rings add three drops to the inside of the comp tube and wipe it around the top inch of the tube then slide the piston in and out to coat the tube,the moly slide is safe infront of the piston as long as its not pooling at the bottom, coat the spring in the supplied grease not to much as it will fling off, grease the slip washer and insert the spring into the piston, i used moly slide on the spring guide,the comp tube and the piston and the inside of the guns action is also lubed with moly slide
rebuild the gun and shoot it, you will require a chrony to see what its doing
what should you expect, without the piston weight the gun will have less recoil with medium and light pellets but heavy pellets wiĺl feel worse,dont expect single figure fps readings either the lighter piston shows variations in pellet differances,the titan spring will give a faster shot cycle and together with a lighter pellet you should see 815 fps and 11.5 fb from a 7.9 grn jsb pellet
my prosport shoots very well and now i found a pellet thats accurate and gives a soft shot cycle iam as happy as a dog with two tails
my prosport shoots as accurately as my s400 but then it always did the differance now is its easier

Nickw

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:46 am

Thanks roadrunner for all the help.

Is the spring life of the welsh wilIy shorter than a standard?

I have invested in a combro chronograph. :)

Cheers
Nick
Air arms S200 Mk3 1.77
Weihrauch HW 97 KT 1.77