Altaros regulator

no avatar
Dr B

Re: Altaros regulator

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:05 pm

mark holding wrote:I agree Raj,
that's the whole idea of a regulator in a rifle. They are designed to shoot the same over the entire fill. My Webley LiteW8 which was fitted by Phil Crampton of the Rat Works is good right the way through the shot count. All I need to do is get my range to the target and work out my hold over or under at that range.

A 190 BAR fill will give me 70 shots, while a 200 BAR fill gives about 105 shots per charge.

I get around 70 shots from a 170 Bar fill. I stopped testing at 90-Bar one day - but the gun was still spot on. So this is not really an argument for a reg.

Unless you've tried it, you'll never know the difference,....

My point is, there is no real difference other than a few shots more. I've never shot 70 rabbits in one go. Have you ever compared an AAS400 / S410 - fettled (internal polish, lube, shimmed, springs checked etc) against a regged one? The regged one will have a few more shots, but absolutely nothing else on top of that relative to a properly fettled one. This is not the case for other guns of course (some BSAs need regs due to a woeful shot count so I'm told).

As long as you are happy with it mate - that's the main thing. ;)
AA S410 .22, Classic Walnut Thumbhole stock, Hawke 4-12 x 50 Panorama IR/AO/EV
AA S410 .22 Carbine (Cloverleaf Tuned) Walnut stock, Hawke Airmax 30, 4-16 x 50mm IR
AA TX200Hc .22, Walnut stock, Simmons 3-9 x 50mm.

no avatar
Zeewulf

Re: Altaros regulator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 pm

mark holding wrote:I agree Raj,
that's the whole idea of a regulator in a rifle. They are designed to shoot the same over the entire fill. My Webley LiteW8 which was fitted by Phil Crampton of the Rat Works is good right the way through the shot count. All I need to do is get my range to the target and work out my hold over or under at that range.
My Air Arms S200 with the Altaros regulator fitted by myself, was a bugger to tune at first, as I followed the instructions to the letter, which resulted in some high flyers, but once I had sorted out the correct hammer and transfer port settings for my MK1, I am now doing the same with that as with my Webley, as well as getting a lot more shots per fill. A 190 BAR fill will give me 70 shots, while a 200 BAR fill gives about 105 shots per charge. As suggested by Altaros I just dry fire four or five shots then its within around 5 ft/per second over the whole of the fill. It is now shooting this at 11ft/lb. I found that if I tried it much above 11.3ft at the settings of the current rifle, then it would get high flyers again. I will definitely go the regulator way in the future. Unless you've tried it, you'll never know the difference, and at just £63 for the Altaros regulator its great value. Add another £100 to get one professionally fitted. The Humma and other varients are no more than £25 more than the Altaros. I only went Altaros so that I didn't need to drill a hole in my air cylinder.

Who fits them professionally, as I'm not sure I wouldn't mess it up if I tried doing it (still fairly new to the sport).
Air Arms MPR FT