S400 Scope Options - Target & Field...

no avatar
Madders

S400 Scope Options - Target & Field...

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 am

Hi all, a newbie to the sport and forum here...
I joined a club a few months ago and have been using club guns while I made sure that I was going to continue in the sport (I certainly am!) and made a decision on what gun I might buy. After trying quite a few guns, and seeing what my budget might stretch to, I came down to either the S200 or the S400 in .177. (Definitely a PCP.)
This is mainly going to be for indoor 25m standing with dioptre sights and 25m bench rest for which I will need a scope. However I don't want to rule out field target in the future (aim to get out there at some point when my shooting is better!) and want a full power rifle at 12ftlb rather than one purely for target work at 6ftlb.
My dilemma is that I have used both a S200 with dioptre sights fitted and another one with a scope fitted (so I understand the type of sight can be swapped around if wanted) but as a gun it is a bit too light/small for me while the S400 really seemed to suit me, it felt right, but I have only used it with a scope option fitted. My preference is therefore to go for the S400 at this point. Unfortunately no one at the club could really tell me whether I could also fit dioptre sights to the S400 if I wanted to for indoor standing target shooting, no one there with an S400 had ever tried it as they were simply bench rest guys or really field target guys keeping their hand in...
My question is therefore, can you fit dioptre sights to an S400 and if so what is involved in this? Do you need to replace the muzzle break (is this even possible?) for one with rails and if it is possible, where would I get one from?
If you cant, then what would peoples recommendations be if the S200 doesn't suit me and my budget wont really stretch past the S400???
I am asking around to see what those in the know think so any advice, guidance or information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Mike
***The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.***

no avatar
Phil B

Re: S400 Scope Options - Target & Field...

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:51 pm

If I understand this right, you want to be able to swap between Dioptre sights and a scope. Don't worry about competition shooting, I reckon you will spend all your time zeroing. Unless I misread you. Haven't seen an S400 with Dioptre sights but a bit of engineering inventiveness should come up with something.