s410 issue

no avatar
crazysniper

s410 issue

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi another ask for info on an issue .

I have a s410 being filled from a dive bottle . I hadn't used it in about a year and pressure was sitting around the 140psi mark .
I was invited along to a shoot for a new permission so as you do I got my kit together and decided to give the rifle a top up .
The issue came about when as I started to turn the valve on the bottle nothing seemed to happen on the rifles inbuilt gauge as though no air
was going into the cylinder then all of a sudden a "squeak" then the gauge shot up to 190 luckily no further .

Took it along to the shoot , checked zero seemed to be dead on same great grouping as I had left it the year before ....

long story short . can anyone shine any light on what could possibly cause this issue , sticky filler valve ?

thanks for any help given

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: s410 issue

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:21 pm

crazysniper wrote:Hi another ask for info on an issue .

I have a s410 being filled from a dive bottle . I hadn't used it in about a year and pressure was sitting around the 140psi mark .
I was invited along to a shoot for a new permission so as you do I got my kit together and decided to give the rifle a top up .
The issue came about when as I started to turn the valve on the bottle nothing seemed to happen on the rifles inbuilt gauge as though no air
was going into the cylinder then all of a sudden a "squeak" then the gauge shot up to 190 luckily no further .
the squeak is normal its the filling valve opening
Took it along to the shoot , checked zero seemed to be dead on same great grouping as I had left it the year before ....

long story short . can anyone shine any light on what could possibly cause this issue , sticky filler valve ? could well be

thanks for any help given
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
singlespeed

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:41 am

eboswan wrote:
crazysniper wrote:long story short . can anyone shine any light on what could possibly cause this issue , sticky filler valve ? could well be

When working with these high pressures, if you dont see (or hear) what you expect, stop.

Im not saying it happened exactly like this, but bear with me a minute...
For the cylinder to jump from 140 to 190, I'm guessing you had greater than 190 Bar in the hose when the fill valve finally opened. If you had a 2m long hose, with a 1/4"bore (which are avaliable), by the time you had reacted to close the reg, there may have been over the Working Pressure WP of 190 and possibly even greater than the Maximum Pressure MP of 200.

Which is why its probably a good reason to have a short filling hose with a small bore and pay close attention to the gauge on the bottle.

Sounds like your fill valve stuck and needed a high diferential pressure >50 Bar across it to make it initially open. If you had stopped and dry fired the rifle down to below 100bar (or even empty), you would have had a much greater margin for error.

Imagine if you were topping off from 160 :|

Blackbaronfish

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:36 am

I often open the valve on the cylinder just to get used to it before filling the rifle.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
crazysniper

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks for the help guys all info noted .

Though issue seemed to be something to do with the long period the rifle was sitting idle ive recently joined a club and sunday was the first time ive managed to shoot a good few pellets down range one after the other then have to top up the air in the same day after half a tin of slugs and about four fills everything seams to be bang on target regulator plus guage on the filler tank and on the rifle are both reading the same pressure . so seams as good as when I took it out the box many years ago .

Again thank for all the help . :D