Help with early Pro Sport

no avatar
lcj1

Help with early Pro Sport

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:42 am

Hi all

First post from a new Air Arms owner. Picked up a mint condition Pro Sport today, serial number seems to be 202 (stamped to the left of the breech?) so I'm guessing it's quite an early one. It's a had a full strip down and rebuild and seems to fire really well. Just wondered if there was anything I should look out for, particularly any problems with the cocking linkage which I have read was troublesome on early models?

All advice on it welcome!
Thanks

raygun

Re: Help with early Pro Sport

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:02 am

Not heard any horror stories about the PS.

There was a concern expressed a while ago about the screw holding the cocking lever to the Compression tube coming lose. Easily checked and resolved with a bit of Loctite.
The earlier PS's didn't have the delrin buttons on the Comp tube but as it only moves slowly it doesn't really matter. The TX's don't have them anyway and don't seem to suffer.

If it's shooting well just enjoy it :D

ATB
Ray

no avatar
lcj1

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks Ray

Off to the range for a proper setup and shoot tonight, but all seemed well on quick go I had at the weekend. Looking forward to it!

Timmytree

Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Some of the very early ones had a cocking arm without the extra "bulge" of alloy next to the cocking link pin apparently. The story was told that a couple of FAC models failed at this point, I've seen one picture in America. In sub 12 there shouldn't be a problem. The arm and links on mine have done 130,000+ shots and are original.

no avatar
lcj1

Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:43 am

Mine seems to be bulgeless :oops: (Air Arms have told it was made in June 1996, so very early) but a test on the chrono last night suggests it is still comfortably putting out just over 11ftlb and staggeringly accurate. Put the brand new HW97 shooting next to me to some shame :mrgreen: