Scope problem

moulindu

Scope problem

Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:25 am

Hi
I was using a leapers 3-9X40 scope on my TX, but last week it got blurry at 9 magnification at distance more than 30 yds. It works fine below 30 yds at full mag though. Now I am using it at lesser mag for 30+ yds shots. So am I working with a crippled scope or there is some way to fix it. I think i have to move on & latch onto a new scope.
Regards Moulindu

raygun

Re: Scope problem

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:42 am

It's possible that the front lens has moved.

I'm guessing that it's a fixed PA scope. You could try undoing the front lens and screwing it in or out to re-parallax the scope.

Get a newspaper front page with different size type on it. Place it at your desired distance. Put the scope on max mag. Screw the front lens carefully in or out until the type is as clear as you can get it. Then lock it up.

This will mean that you can get blur and both shorter and longer distances, but that's normal. Your main shooting distances should be fairly clear.
If this doesn't work your scope sounds stuffed.

ATB
Ray.

moulindu

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:07 am

Hi
Sorry raygun, i forgot to mention it has AO on objective lens :oops: . But the PA was never same with yardage tape, had to mark distance on the objective bell using white tape. POI is fine at different distance but unusable at higher mag beyond 30+ yards.
Regards Moulindu

raygun

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:46 am

Hi Moulindu,

It could still be the same problem even with PA. If the front lens has moved the PA distances will be different. They often do not tie up in the real world.
You should still be able to try what I've outlined above. The marks on your scope are better ignored anyway.
If it doesn't work you still have the decision on whether to replace the scope or not.

ATB
Ray.

rogers1

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 pm

The first scope I had on my TX (a BSA SWF unit) was OK for a few thousand shots, then the PA adjuster broke, scope was knacked.

I bit the bullet and got an MTC Viper 4-16 which has been on the gun for seven years with no problems.

Some scopes just aren't built for the spring.

Duncs
AA TX200 MkIII in .177 with a Viper
AA Ultimate Sporter in .177, JSR scope
Weihrauch HW45 in .177, No glass, save my old, weary eyes....

moulindu

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 am

raygun wrote:Place it at your desired distance. Put the scope on max mag. Screw the front lens carefully in or out until the type is as clear as you can get it. Then lock it up.

This will mean that you can get blur and both shorter and longer distances, but that's normal. Your main shooting distances should be fairly clear.
If this doesn't work your scope sounds stuffed.

My concern is that may it get completely damaged (leakage of the tube) & ruin the usability i have.
rogers1 wrote:The first scope I had on my TX (a BSA SWF unit) was OK for a few thousand shots, then the PA adjuster broke, scope was knacked.

I bit the bullet and got an MTC Viper 4-16 which has been on the gun for seven years with no problems.

Some scopes just aren't built for the spring.

I believe so, the scope i have been using this scope for around 3 years for around 5K shots only on springer & i guess its time has come
Regards Moulindu