to fac spring or not to fac spring that is the question

no avatar
bstaff

to fac spring or not to fac spring that is the question

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi all and thanks for any opinions offered ahead of time.
I have to have a fac for my air rifle. The way it is. What you going to do? Anyway my spring has a bend in it and has quite a loud twang when fired. So i need to get a new one assumming they can't be straightened.

My air rifle is a tx200 mk2 from 1994. Has anyone tried the fac and std spring and is it worth the extra power or is the recoil just too much for accuracy. Is the 12 ftlb area the sweet spot? I thought you might be the people to ask.

Thanks again
Brian

raygun

Re: to fac spring or not to fac spring that is the question

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi Brian,
Welcome to the AAOC.

There won't be many U.K. members with experience of FAC springers. F Poole is probably the man to give you a good answer as he does shoot FAC levels of TX's in the States.

For me the end use would dictate what power level. If your just going to plink then 12FPE will give you what you need. If hunting then the extra few FPE you would get from FAC levels would be beneficial. If you going to shoot competition then you would have to match what your competitors are using.
The TX should be quite comfortable at the slightly higher FAC levels as it's quite a heavy rifle.

ATB
Ray.
Last edited by raygun on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timmytree

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:57 pm

I might be wrong but I think the MK 1 and 2 TX had a shorter stroke which better suited sub 12, the MK3 with longer stroke would handle FAC to around 15 ftlb.

no avatar
bstaff

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. This is what I'm after. Im in n ireland and we can't really do plinking and there's only 2 hft clubs so it will be for pest control on farm land. Just starting and didn't think i was getting the sweet smooth shot that i expected from the tx200. I took it apart actually because my anti beartrap release button came off and i had to put the spring back in. I thought i'd go the whole hog and strip it and see whats going on. After advice from folks on airgunforum i realised the spring needs replacing.

no avatar
bstaff

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 pm

While im here what seals are recommended. Is the aa seal ok or the hw 25mm seal has been recommended too.

Any other bits to replace while I'm here?
Brian

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 pm

I shot a HW97 that was knocking out 14ft/lb and it was not easy to shoot. Recoiled like a bugger.

raygun

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:44 pm

bstaff wrote:While im here what seals are recommended. Is the aa seal ok or the hw 25mm seal has been recommended too.

Any other bits to replace while I'm here?
Brian

Some info on piston seals here.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1091
Whilst your "inside" I would also replace the piston bearings and also the breech seals.

ATB
Ray.