Newbie S410, issues with gun???

no avatar
mattyf

Newbie S410, issues with gun???

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi guys,

I have owned an s410f for a few months now, and have taken it out a few times.

When i first got it, i must have shot over 1000 pellets through it, of various sorts to figure out what it liked, and after using copper and gold plated ones (literally no more than 5) i found my shots were going stray at 25m. So i cleaned out the barrel to find that it was the dirtiest barrel i have ever seen. It took ages to clean it out properly.

Well i got back to the range after cleaning it and straight away it was back on form (few) then its zero shifted, and i assumed this was due to the barrel being leaded again, so i adjusted my zero and it was back on form. Anyway, after another 500 pellets or so (over two shooting sessions) through the barrel i noticed that the shots were going off again, so i checked my barrel again, and it was again very dirty, not the same as the first time i cleaned it, but still very dirty.

So i cleaned the barrel out, but this time the shots were still going off after i had cleaned it, i am hoping that maybe i didn't dry the barrel out well enough, and this may have been the reason the shots didn't improve after the clean.

My question is this: is it possible that for some reason i just have a gun that loves to be clean? i previously had an s200, and i cleaned it once in 12 months of ownership as it never put a foot wrong. Do any of you have a gun, s410 or not that gets cleaned after every shoot etc.? And do you think the reason it may not have improved after the latest clean is that i didn't dry it enough? i.e. i normally clean it at home then days later i shoot, but this time i cleaned it at the range then shot straight away.

When i say the shots are going stray i mean at 20m the shots are moving randomly, up, down, and sideways anywhere upto 2cm off zero. When the gun is performing as it should, i can get all 10 shots into a 5pence piece, with relative ease, however its more like a 50pence piece or £2 coin, and this is definitely not down to me, as i have also had others shoot it after me and agree that its going off slightly.

Oh and its also definitely not the scope as i have checked and re checked that.

Thanks for your time.

Matt
AA S410F Superlite Hunter

no avatar
davyt63

Re: Newbie S410, issues with gun???

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:44 pm

hi Matt
have you tried to wash and lube your pellets? also have you done a pellet test?

regards

Davy Thomas
did i mention,i have done one less meet then Ray, lol.

Blackbaronfish

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Are you using a silencer and is it loose inside or our.
Is the crown still good

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
mattyf

Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi guys,

Haven't tried to wash or lube the pellets purely because with the s200 when i lubed the pellets, that was what fouled the barrel enough to require a clean. Yes i have performed a pellet test, it only likes AA diablo.

I have also tried it with the silencer on and off, and it does the same.

I think maybe i just have a rifle that loves a clean barrel? is that possible?

Matt
AA S410F Superlite Hunter

no avatar
wastrel

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:01 pm

If any of my guns needed that much attention, I`d get rid of it!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

raygun

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Barrels will vary greatly.

You can get a barrel that will want cleaning after perhaps 200 shots, or it may not need cleaning for thousands. The same is also true of re-leading. Some will take 50 pellets, some will only take a handfull.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
air gun

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:32 pm

raygun wrote:Barrels will vary greatly.

You can get a barrel that will want cleaning after perhaps 200 shots, or it may not need cleaning for thousands. The same is also true of re-leading. Some will take 50 pellets, some will only take a handfull.

ATB
Ray.

I know no 2 things are exactly alike. but can 2 barrels from the same makers be that differnt. all walther barrels made for s410 would be the same spec. but that seems like barrels made by 2 different people.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

raygun

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Any engineered component will vary.

That's why tolerances are used.

ATB
Ray.

Pav

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:40 am

Hi,
I had a similar thing with my S510, it would group for 15-20 shots and then shoot completely randomly, high, low, left and right, all over the place in fact. It turned out to be a damaged exhaust valve seat, which also damaged the seat inside the firing valve too. :o I sent pics to Julian who instantly recommended replacement of both. I'm not for one moment suggesting that this definitely your problem, but after you have checked and illuminated all over possible causes maybe you should consider it. Once the new valve assembly was fitted, the rifle was shooting spot on once again, in fact it had never been so accurate. :o Mind you, I think most of the accuracy problems stemmed from the lose nut behind the trigger.:lol:

This is a photo of the inside of the damaged valve.
Attachments
S510 Firing Valve crop.jpg
S510 Firing Valve crop.jpg (147.66 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
S510 177 Walnut Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 IR AO
TX200HC 22 CS500 Hawke 3-12x50 IR AO
TX200HC 177 CS700 Falcon 4-14x44FFP IR
TX200 177 Walnut 4-16x44 TargetMaster
HW98 177 Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44
HW77 22 Beach 3-12x50 AO Mountmaster
BASC Member

no avatar
roy0110