Whats the point "imo"

roadrunner

Whats the point "imo"

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Went shooting yesterday first mistake, howling 30mph gust, 600 quids of kit i couldnt group under a 5p at 20 yards and its been every week nearly since christmas, second mistake took my s400 and emptied its cylinder after 65 shots,seems wind just had my pants down
getting a bit sick of it really,all the time and money spent for a 2 hour shooting session per week to be ruined, i generally like shooting in a breeze as it adds an extra dimension but yesterday it was hooking and slicing pellets out to 2" off the target in any direction

raygun

Re: Whats the point "imo"

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:29 pm

If there's one thing that makes airgunning difficult it's the wind.

You may have driven 300 miles to a comp. Paid your entry fee and also perhaps lodgings. On the day it's blowing a gale. It's blowing it for everyone so you do your best. It's not unusual to be aiming in fresh air a couple of inches outside the face plate. There are shooters who seem to be able to judge the wind very well, in fact they may just be in league with the devil :lol:

It does change things if your hunting though and usually results in a cancelled trip. I would never shoot at anything live in anything more than a gentle breeze. Competition is different and as all are suffering equally then you may as well shoot the comp and enjoy it.
Wind has to be the most difficult thing to judge.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
Mason

Re: Whats the point "imo"

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:34 pm

raygun wrote:If there's one thing that makes airgunning difficult it's the wind.

You may have driven 300 miles to a comp. Paid your entry fee and also perhaps lodgings. On the day it's blowing a gale. It's blowing it for everyone so you do your best. It's not unusual to be aiming in fresh air a couple of inches outside the face plate. There are shooters who seem to be able to judge the wind very well, in fact they may just be in league with the devil :lol:

It does change things if your hunting though and usually results in a cancelled trip. I would never shoot at anything live in anything more than a gentle breeze. Competition is different and as all are suffering equally then you may as well shoot the comp and enjoy it.
Wind has to be the most difficult thing to judge.

ATB
Ray.

A good way to gauge its strength, is the number of, and distance, people move from its epicentre. :ugeek: