Teaching the nephew how to shoot!

darran77

Teaching the nephew how to shoot!

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Well thats what i thought when he asked if we could shoot some rats at his nannys farm.
So like a responsible shooter i said yes and with the relevant permission we went into the barn for some practice, well you didnt think he was going to start on the rats without first knowing if he could shoot, they may be rats but they deserve a humane death.
But i didn't have to worry as with the TDR and the spinner targets at 36y he sat there shooting them up and resetting them without a problem, i even put a couple of closer bottle tops out and he had no problem skittling them down the concrete.
So i decided it was time to get the 97kt out and let him have a go with that, now this gun has sat in the under stairs cupboard for the last 12 months as it was set up for a couple of back garden rats that had been paying a visit , i didn't get them but the gun was there just in case. Out of the bag i showed him how to cock it safely and load the pellet, and also the auto safety, so with a cardboard box set out at the 36y range i made a pen hole in it and told him to aim at that, and to my supprise he put 4 pellets well under a £1 coin, this also showed that a slight ajustment was needed as the POI was just off to the right, and with this done we had a look for any scally tails.
But after half an hour with nothing to see we went back on the spinners, and he was quite happy to put another 50 pellets down range.
I was very supprised just how well he got on with both rifles and would happily take him with me for a session on the rats once they come back into the barns.
One never knows he may even take up the sport, as long as he buys his own guns.
daz
IFAC member

Timmytree

Re: Teaching the nephew how to shoot!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:51 pm

It's good that the lad managed to shoot the springer well. I would get him practicing with the 97kt as often as possible.

Raj

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:10 pm

How old is he, Darran?
I had a 9 year old niece visit recently and she was ace from the 1st try all the way through about 30 shots after. Didnt miss a single target with the S200. :) Some kids just have it in them ... naturals.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
GrandadG

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Raj wrote:How old is he, Darran?
I had a 9 year old niece visit recently and she was ace from the 1st try all the way through about 30 shots after. Didnt miss a single target with the S200. :) Some kids just have it in them ... naturals.

She sounds like my 8yr old grandson Raj,
25mm chalk targets, 25metres down the garden...cola cans at 40 metres, he hardly ever misses.
He is sat at a bench though, with a nice comfy seat and the HW100 supported on a rest. :D

Just found a short vid of him. Enlarge it to see the cloud of chalk dust. :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh9kdo9xay6g4 ... S.MOV?dl=0
Last edited by GrandadG on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW100T .177
AA Prosport .177
AA S200 .177 Huma Reg

darran77

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Raj wrote:How old is he, Darran?

Oh he is not that young, err well he is compaired to me , he is about 24 but a shy lad unlike me. We plan another session soon at the farm, but this time the night vision may come out as i might put the gen 1 yukon on the HW and see how he likes that.
daz
IFAC member

darran77

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Well we had the nephew back on the farm the other week, and this time i tried him with the night vision and he nailed that.
He asked to shoot the 97kt again and this time i put out several targets at different ranges, which he nailed again, the 97 in his hands is a tack driver.
One target was a pollystyreen cup full of water at 34 yards, and he placed a neat line of pellets all the way down the cup, i think i might have to let him have a go on the proper range, maybe some FT/HFT.
One thing i have noticed he is not intrested in the live targets which were about, mainly the ferrels in the barn,
but he may change his mind if we get onto some rats.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
GrandadG

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Here's a short vid of my 8yr old grandson
View fullscreen to see the chalk dust

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh9kdo9xay6g4 ... S.MOV?dl=0
HW100T .177
AA Prosport .177
AA S200 .177 Huma Reg