Wildcat pellet testing

no avatar
BunnyBasher

Wildcat pellet testing

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:53 am

So in my pursuit to find pellet perfection for my wildcat (as I already know what diet my s410 likes :D ) I have been testing various diffrent .177 pellets. So far I have tried jsb exact 4.51 4.52 4.53 jsb exact express jsb exact heavy and airarms field in 4.52.
So far the jsb exact 4.53 don't seem to group well neither do the heavies. I have had best results with the exact 4.51 and airarms 4.52
Here are some 8 shot groups at 30 meters. Now I'm not the best shot in the world and the cat is still very new to me.Image
I know holes on paper in pictures are not easy to judge so I used a 5p to cover the groups.ImageImage
The other groups I was not able to cover with a 5 pence.
I then went on to see if I could repeat my results with the two better grouping pellets.ImageImageImage
As you can see I was able to cover the 8 shot groups with a 5p again. So far the cat seems to favour the exact 4.51 and airarms field 4.52 there really is little to separate them. I have not tried anything over the chrono as I was simply looking for groupings. I have some sample packs of h&n ftt and sniper medium and light on the way to try. Will see if they fair any better.

no avatar
Mick G

Re: Wildcat pellet testing

Tue May 03, 2016 6:48 pm

I've just got a Wildcat in .22 and so far the Air Arms diablo field seem excellent. I have a load of JSBs to try later. It probably doesn't surprise you but my recently acquired AA TDR in .22 appears virtually as accurate . Brilliant! My Brocock Compatto has been a bit disappointing so far and is currently being rebuilt by Brocock. I got it in .177 and will report on it when it returns. So, old age and an arthritic right hand persuaded me to give up springers at last but wonderful as these PCPs are I just have to have a springer to play with and here's the good news, I have an Air Arms TX 200 HC on order!! I just love that gun. It will be in .177 . Airguns are my only reason for living!!! Oh! I nearly forgot to tell you that I have a new dog for company. He is eight months old and is a very handsome cross between a Greyhound and Bearded Collie. He sleeps on my bed and is a rascal. His name is Merlin. Mick.

no avatar
BunnyBasher

Wed May 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Mick G wrote:I've just got a Wildcat in .22 and so far the Air Arms diablo field seem excellent. I have a load of JSBs to try later. It probably doesn't surprise you but my recently acquired AA TDR in .22 appears virtually as accurate . Brilliant! My Brocock Compatto has been a bit disappointing so far and is currently being rebuilt by Brocock. I got it in .177 and will report on it when it returns. So, old age and an arthritic right hand persuaded me to give up springers at last but wonderful as these PCPs are I just have to have a springer to play with and here's the good news, I have an Air Arms TX 200 HC on order!! I just love that gun. It will be in .177 . Airguns are my only reason for living!!! Oh! I nearly forgot to tell you that I have a new dog for company. He is eight months old and is a very handsome cross between a Greyhound and Bearded Collie. He sleeps on my bed and is a rascal. His name is Merlin. Mick.

At the moment there seems to be very little diffrence in the jsb and aa pellets. I actually find that my s410 is more accurate but this could be down to the fact I have spent many years with it and the wildcat and the bullpup style is very new to me. Sorry to hear the compatto isn't great at the moment, shame really as Si Pittaway seems to love his. And they say a dog is a mans best friend i am a dog lover myself and ours is a part of the family. I would love a Tx but if the Mrs realizes there's another rifle in the house I'm pretty sure she would cut off my nuts. I have some more pellet samples due H&n ftt and sniper mediums and lights. Will let you know how they perform. Let us know how the Brocock turns out and how you find the wildcat. Happy shooting.

no avatar
zippy

Sun May 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Just a little advice in regards to accuracy I own AA TDR and most AA rifles including 2, txhc, ps, s410, s510 etc and 2 HW100 along with higher end target pistols even an HW45 pistol list goes on.
Every single airgun I own shoots with absolute, astonishing accuracy
with the light weight JSB exact express or Air Arms express 7.87 grains pellets .177,,, With the TDR at 40 yards theses pellets have literally gone though the same hole these pellets are long range kings even out to silly extreme ranges like 80, 90 yards at the club range.
I now only buy either JSB exact express light weight pellets at 7.87 gr
Or Air Arms express pellets blue tin. same weight 7.87 grains.
all of my guns love these pellets this makes life so easy one pellet all my guns and these above pellets are ridiculously accurate.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
BunnyBasher

Wed May 11, 2016 7:48 am

zippy wrote:Just a little advice in regards to accuracy I own AA TDR and most AA rifles including 2, txhc, ps, s410, s510 etc and 2 HW100 along with higher end target pistols even an HW45 pistol list goes on.
Every single airgun I own shoots with absolute, astonishing accuracy
with the light weight JSB exact express or Air Arms express 7.87 grains pellets .177,,, With the TDR at 40 yards theses pellets have literally gone though the same hole these pellets are long range kings even out to silly extreme ranges like 80, 90 yards at the club range.
I now only buy either JSB exact express light weight pellets at 7.87 gr
Or Air Arms express pellets blue tin. same weight 7.87 grains.
all of my guns love these pellets this makes life so easy one pellet all my guns and these above pellets are ridiculously accurate.

Jsb express are one of the other pellets I have tried but didn't seem as accurate in my rifle as the AAFD in 4.52 which I have settled on as THE pellet for the cat.
Two 8 shot groups at 30 meters. Barely bigger than the pellets that caused the holes. More than happy for my hunting needs. Jsb exact 4.51 are in second place.