A bit of drizzle never hurt anyone

no avatar
chrismdd

A bit of drizzle never hurt anyone

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Well finished a 10 hour day at work and cycled home to rush some tea down before setting off to do the weekly food shop in the hope that I may get a couple of hours of last light in for a second go at those pigeons.

Didn't go quite according to plan as me oldest lad wanted to come and push the trolley so it took a bit longer than my usual mad trolley dash. Got home and unpacked as the light was almost gone and and rain had started.

Watched a bit of telly and at 10pm decided to go out with the torch like last Friday. This time the wind was in my face and still drizzling as I entered the first field by the house. Using my red led headtorch it was simple to unslip the S410 and load up without ruining my own nightvision.

This time I walked well up the field before having a shine and spied two rabbits out in the middle. Torch off and made my way over, torch back on but one had gone and the other was also making its way to safety. Down onto the sticks and and I tried putting the beam in front of him to stop him, at one point he paused long enough for a shot but I sent it whizzing past his ears.

Crossed the road and headed up towards the copse. In a little meadow field a rabbit sat up, appeared to be at a perfect range and so I sent the pellet over for a clean kill. Paced him out at 34 yrds.

Next I sneaked into a little field on the edge of the copse and saw about half a dozen at various places. Made my way over as stealthily as possible and when I put the torch back on most were still out but were making their way to safety. Decided to have a go and went for one around the forty yard mark, a mildot over and he leapt into the air. Needed to quickly go over and dispatch him as the pellet hit a bit lower than intended.

Walked down past the copse and forced my way through a hole in the hedge being stung for my efforts. Having made a bit of commotion getting through I crept halfway across before putting the torch on. Only one rabbit was in range and a quick shot resulted in a nice clean kill.

Three rabbits was enough tonight and the earlier drizzle had now become heavier rain so time to head home and dry the rifle. But the wind had dropped and all the scents were truly amazing what with the previous dry spell that we have had. Tomorrow looks like a washout down here so its going to be a chores day (and getting the fishing gear ready for Sundays match).

no avatar
devonhunter

Re: A bit of drizzle never hurt anyone

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:44 am

Going Chris, my only worry is the rifle getting wet :)
AA S410 .22 LH walnut stock MTC viper 10x44 harris 1A2-H bipod

no avatar
chrismdd

Re: A bit of drizzle never hurt anyone

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:36 pm

devonhunter wrote:Going Chris, my only worry is the rifle getting wet :)

Cheers,

A quick undo of the stock to separate the mechanics, wipe off excessive moisture, then a light wipe over with same napier wipe and all should be well. If I feel that a bit a moisture may be trapped in the stock then they will be left separated for a while. Also I now only have camo fabric on the silencer and just use a scrim net to cover the bulk of the gun if required.

Heavy rain just started here in Somerset so I expect you've had a while down in Devon today. Looks like a wet night coming up.

Chris