Bunny clearing

no avatar
offroading.net

Bunny clearing

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:39 pm

Long time no post!

Right, a question, We have part of our land infesting with the critters, causing so much damage now we need them gone. Gassing didn't do it last time, the warren is over an acre or so at least, through 3 lots of mature hedges & in open fields. Any suggestion as to the best way to get rid. Shooting is an issue, we are next to a main road so rimfire is out, plus the field is fairly open so difficult to put a hide in or sneak up on them. I reckon we are well past 50 actual holes now in the corner field & increasing fast.

Raj

Re: Bunny clearing

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:31 pm

If it can be done legally and safely, taking them from a vehicle would be thebest option. :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Blackbaronfish

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Ferrets and shotgun. Knock them over when they bolt 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
offroading.net

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Knowing which way to look would be the issue, there are so many holes now. Wondering if running through the warren with a sub soil mole plough would start putting them off a bit?

no avatar
granville

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:45 pm

ferrets purse and long nets plus couple of whippets.
or night vision is good .
i clear large garden roads on two sides and inch high grass ,i use shooting mat and find safe
shots like compost heap or tree trunks as back stops.

james79

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:03 pm

If it can be done safely and eradication is the aim I'd suggest a combination of snaring and cage traps, mature hedges are ideal for snares and hopefully will be enough to hide the cages (if they're visible from the road they get trashed :x ). Ideally that will do the bulk of the job and you can clean up with a bit of subtle sniping with the airgun :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

james79

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:14 pm

james79 wrote:If it can be done safely and eradication is the aim I'd suggest a combination of snaring and cage traps, mature hedges are ideal for snares and hopefully will be enough to hide the cages (if they're visible from the road they get trashed :x ). Ideally that will do the bulk of the job and you can clean up with a bit of subtle sniping with the airgun :)

Just as a PostScript Im assuming if you're gassing its phostoxin or something similar that you're using? If so the ground needs to be at least damp as its water activated otherwise you're chucking rather expensive pellets down the drain, I personally don't rate phostoxin purely because in my opinion you're unlikely to get enough moisture down a rabbit hole with the current climate (I dare say I'll get shot down for saying bring back cymag but at least it did the trick ;) )
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
offroading.net

Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:50 am

Didn't do the gassing personally, local farmer did it for us as he has the pellets, not sure what type they were. Biggest problem is the only neighbour we have is a bunny hugger, they have a patch of garden which is 10m x 20m which is all warren, it looks like the Somme! 10 years ago it was flat garden, now its raised about 4 feet & full of holes. Luckily the bunnies haven't got to the other end of our land yet as I have planted a 400 tree apple orchard down there and want to expand, the moment they get down that end I am getting the nukes out LOL

roadrunner

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Airgun with night vision set up then no one will see u including the bunnies

no avatar
wastrel

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm

could you post your location, could this be a night outing for the the club? properlly organised (of course) this could be a real treat for some,
what do you think guys?
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member