First decoying session 2015

no avatar
chrismdd

First decoying session 2015

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Today was our first session on the pigeons. A couple of days ago I had seen a good number of pigeons feeding on some fresh drilling.

So we set up the fishing brolley hide at 9:30am and set out all the fud decoys. From our experiences last year we positioned ourselves with the light winds directly behind us and made a gap in the decoy pattern for incoming birds to land directly in front of us.

Also I set up a rest bar for us to steady our rifles on (will need to add some foam insulation plus camo tape for next time).

There were a total of three fields that the pigeons were using so a lot of the time we just had to watch from a distance as they fed in other areas. Overall we had some good consistent sport throughout the day and ended with nine plump woodies.

The bar system worked a treat and the hide was so good that a couple of times pigeons landed within 10yds. Should of had at least another six or so but just need to practise some snap shooting techniques to get them as soon as they land. Mate with his HW100 pulled off a cracking headshot at 53yds with the pigeon dropping instantly.

Chris

Timmytree

Re: First decoying session 2015

Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Well done Chris, That brolly hide looks good!
If you have access to the other fields you could always flag them off with bamboos and tape or carrier bags, anything to put the woodies off that area.

no avatar
granville

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 pm

looks like great day there .

no avatar
vampire

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Welldone.
Had worse bags with shotgun :lol:

no avatar
chrismdd

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Cheers folks.

I reckon hide shooting decoyed pigeons with the airgun has to be one of the most skilful techniques to master (we've still got a lot to learn). It keeps you on edge throughout the day and even though you're in the hide all day you're knackered come the evening due to all the concentration. Everytime you see a pigeon coming in your heart speeds up just like when you waiting to put that final seconds bid on ebay.

Timmy we did put some bags out in one of the fields but they still went in there, it appeared that this field looked as though it had been sown later so they probably knew this from earlier in the week. There was a definite flightline that started up around midday and continued on until the evening. We should of probably moved the hide or set up two hides to keep them moving.

Chris

james79

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:38 pm

chrismdd wrote:Timmy we did put some bags out in one of the fields but they still went in there, it appeared that this field looked as though it had been sown later so they probably knew this from earlier in the week. There was a definite flightline that started up around midday and continued on until the evening. We should of probably moved the hide or set up two hides to keep them moving.

Chris

If the flags etc didn't help it might well be worth you going down to your local agricultural wholesalers and getting a box of crow scaring bangers. If you're unfamiliar with them they are basically firecrackers on a rope, you light one end and they go off with one hell of a bang every half hour. Set them up in other areas the woodies are targeting and it helps stop them settling in too much in one area. I find any thing you can do to keep them moving helps, most of my decoying experience has been with the shotgun and I've often found if it gets a bit slow letting a shot off in to the air can be enough to get any birds in the area back in the air and with luck notice your decoy pattern :) Another trick I was taught that seems to help bring them in is stick some corvid deeks at the edge of the pattern and also to try and include a bit of movement to attract attention, I've never tried the pigeon magnets (and I'm not convinced they would work in an air gun situation) but for my last outing I experimented with a full bodied flocked decoy with spinning wings (sorry can't remember what they're called) and it did seem to make a noticeable difference in attracting the birds but without unsettling them on the ground. I think often the biggest trick is getting the decoy pattern right, get plenty out (I don't find it makes a lot of difference what type you use ie full body, half shell, dead birds, whatever) I've had a lot of success using an arrow type formation pointing in to the wind with the hide towards the tip, if possible try and get the bulk of your decoys just upwind of the area you plan on using as your "kill zone" but leave enough of a gap for the birds to land and hopefully with luck on your side you will get good results :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool