Squirrels

no avatar
VEG

Squirrels

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Is there a best time of day to hunt them ?

Geordie

Re: Squirrels

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Dusk or dawn is usually the "hot" zone for any pests.
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
wastrel

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:11 pm

20 odd years ago, I`d to shoot before going to work (at 8) meaning out by 5.30, 6 latest, I never saw any more at this time than any other time of the day, thing is they`re spooked & take cover very easily, so during the day there`s more chance of this happening,
as with any hunting IMO, a hide, knowledge of prey & identifying any patterns or hotspots is the key, regularly filling a feeder but not shooting near it for a few days, MAY help results, I used to sow a field with currents & raisins & use a natural hide, rabbits were my only quarry back then, not sure if it increased my bag, but I`d come home with a couple or more most mornings so continued the procedure.
on youtube, fieldsports channel regularly show film of use of feeders for squirrells, my approach would be to set as many as possible all accessable from one hide spot, positioning them at an equal distance from the hide if possible, if not then work out scope points for each,
then warm clothes & a full flask etc etc.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
devonhunter

Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 am

wastrel wrote:20 odd years ago, I`d to shoot before going to work (at 8) meaning out by 5.30, 6 latest, I never saw any more at this time than any other time of the day, thing is they`re spooked & take cover very easily, so during the day there`s more chance of this happening,
as with any hunting IMO, a hide, knowledge of prey & identifying any patterns or hotspots is the key, regularly filling a feeder but not shooting near it for a few days, MAY help results, I used to sow a field with currents & raisins & use a natural hide, rabbits were my only quarry back then, not sure if it increased my bag, but I`d come home with a couple or more most mornings so continued the procedure.
on youtube, fieldsports channel regularly show film of use of feeders for squirrells, my approach would be to set as many as possible all accessable from one hide spot, positioning them at an equal distance from the hide if possible, if not then work out scope points for each,
then warm clothes & a full flask etc etc.

Having a feeder and getting up to the feeder way before it gets light is the best way to go about getting some squirrels it is my main way of shooting squirrels. and in the morning from when it is still not fully light for another 3 hours on I usually see about 15 squirrels both on the feeder and in the surrounding trees. Like wastrel said you ALWAYS no matter where you are will see more in the mornings
AA S410 .22 LH walnut stock MTC viper 10x44 harris 1A2-H bipod

no avatar
VEG

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for all the replies