First trip of 2015 and out of air!!!

no avatar
chrismdd

First trip of 2015 and out of air!!!

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:58 pm

My S410 had been laid up over the winter whilst the ferreting season was underway. In this time it was kept charged at 150 and warm and dry. Took it out yesterday and it was spot on at 25yds with all shots consistently in touching groups.

So gave it a bit more air to 180 ready for a short first year trip today. Needed to sort some bunnies out five minutes up the road that were hitting the spring wheat. Lay in ambush and waited.

Best part of an hour and first bunny comes out in range aimed fired and he just bounded off. That's odd so check zero and two shots failed to hit a target, cocked for third shot and was met with escaping air as the chamber completely emptied.

Thankfully only five minutes from home so back to have a look. Cocked the rifle and hand pumped it from empty :shock: . Got my breath back after reaching 180, and fired it 'empty' outside to hear two pellets go whizzing off.

Seems to be holding air, but would really like to know what may have caused this and what checks I should make. It was only a very local short trip so no real issues but I wouldn't like that to happen on a whole day session far from home.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

no avatar
sparrowhawkfalconer

Re: First trip of 2015 and out of air!!!

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:59 am

Sounds like the air cylinder seal neends changing to me mate

no avatar
granville

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:30 pm

or dirt in the filler valve.

Geordie

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:35 pm

If it suddenly vented from the barrel it can only be a firing valve problem. You could have had a bit of crud/swarf lodged in there (it only takes a speck) that cleared when the cylinder vented.
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
chrismdd

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:41 pm

Cheers for the comments.

Overnight it kept its full charge of 180 and then late this afternoon I put 50 shots through it and all were good consistent shots. The gauge on the gun now reads a steady 150 so hoping that this may of been just a one off but I'll keep an eye on it as the season progresses.

Got to sort out the hoards of rabbits that were out tonight on my parents land (that I never got round to ferreting this year :roll: ) so will hopefully have a go at them tomorrow evening, and just found three fields of recently drilled wheat that are bringing in a good head of pigeons ready for a decoying session this Friday.