Woodies flew away again!

no avatar
andrewpjudge

Woodies flew away again!

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi I'm fairly new to hunting but not to shooting. Currently I have an AA TX200HC .177, every second I get I practice. Anyway the reason for me having a air rifle was for small game and currently I am going for woodies, I have had a good amount so far with good clean kills mainly heart/lung but a good few head shot too. Recently I have had a few fly away after being shot, all have been shot in the same areas as the previous kills, feathers were left behind but no pigeon! I am just concerned that I have had now three inhumane kills but no evidence as I have walked around and found nothing! I have always been using JSB exacts and I found they gave me the best accuracy and distance. the other pellets I have are H&N Hunter Barracudas but they're only really good for up to 25yrds plus I think I will have to re-zero my rifle to use these with good effect. Any help or information I will be thankful, also has anyone else experienced this before?

Andrew

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Woodies flew away again!

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Imnot a pigeon shooter but just a thought with the heart and lung shots could it be that they have a full crops and because of that your not getting full penetration for the h&l shot.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Timmytree

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:49 am

Woodies are big, tough birds. Shot placement is critical especially the frontal area of the bird. Any shot to the frontal chest or crop area will regularly result in a bird flying.
Shots from the side into the armpit will nearly always kill cleanly although a bird may fly for a short distance. Often when you have a good heart/lung shot the bird will trail its legs, if so watch it, it will usually drop within 50 yards. Head shots are best but it's a small target. My favoured shot is into the spine/cavity from behind.

no avatar
andrewpjudge

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Never tried a spinal shot, I am usually waiting for the bird to turn side on for a heart/lung kill. I haven't taking a front on shot unless head as I have heard that it's like body armor where the crop and breast bone is. I will look into the spinal shot, perhaps I should look around better!

Timmytree

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Try and position yourself so any shots you take whether on the ground or in a tree the wind is blowing towards you, that means most birds will land facing away. Less likely to see you and giving you two target areas, spine or head.

no avatar
robertt

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:33 am

I would hazard a guess that your broadside fly away's have been shot too low probably through the breasts.
I recommend that you dissect one lenthways from above and you will realise how high the vitals are on a woody.
Broadside, a top half inch shot is instantaneous.