His first hunt

no avatar
BunnyBasher

His first hunt

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:04 am

So after a little time away from the rifles I decided that it was time to get back into the swing of things. Took my trusty s410 out to check my zero. And at 30 meters it was still punching almost single pellet holes.During the process my son (who is six) was very inquisitive and watched everything that was going on with eagle eyes. I asked if he would like to go out in the evening to shoot rabbitts, I was not entirely sure if he would want to? All the same the idea seemed to excite him. Later that evening we set off for one of my local permission's in search of the rabbits. After not much walking round we came across a couple sitting near a fence. Let's just say the excitement was a bit much for my son and the rather loud "there they are get them dad" spooked them away. So after a little chat explaining why rabbits had such big ears and the importance of quiet we carried on. The next field I put the lamp in there was a rabbit sitting around 35meters out. My boy remained perfectly still and silent as a mouse as I trained the crosshairs on the rabbits head, a little holdover and a squeeze of the trigger and this was the result.

no avatar
BunnyBasher

Re: His first hunt

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:35 am

I also think its good for him to learn where meat we eat comes from and that its not just some packet we pick up in the shops.
As you can see he also learned some butchery.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:50 am

Good lad :D a future shooter :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
granville

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm

well done, its not easy till you get the idea .
but great age to start .

no avatar
Pat g

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 pm

This is great to see. Father and son enjoying quality time together. I hope the little man takes to the sport and you have years of happy memorable times together in the field. These kids are the future . Well done and a great write up ;)
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

Raj

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Nice work ... the two of you 8-)

BunnyBasher wrote:My boy remained perfectly still and silent as a mouse

This reminded me about my own daughter's first proper hunt when she was 13. After a few incidents where she had moved / made a noise / somehow scared the rabbits away, she was soooooo determined to prove that she could keep still. I had accidentally managed to get her to lie up at the entrance to one burrow while asking her to watch another about 25 yards away. I myself went off to another corner of the field to make my own sport. About 20 minutes later, I panicked when I heard her screaming :shock: :shock: :shock:

As I ran towards her I found her giggling. :P
"What happened ??? "
" This baby rabbit crawled all over me dad !!!! but I didnt move or scream till it tickled " :o :lol: :lol:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
gary martin

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:50 pm

cracking, well done. his first cilit bang, bang! and the rabbits head is gone! proud moment for you both.

Blackbaronfish

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Good for the sport seeing youngsters shown where meat really comes from and how we must respect our quarry. 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Outandabout

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Great post and to think of all the knowledge that you can pass to the eager recipient.
Still cant take away that father-son moment. He will remember it forever.(so will you probably)
Kevin

no avatar
Brooksy

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:21 am

Well done. We are so sterilsed these days that we forget where our food comes from. Shooting a rabbit won't necessarily breed a gun wealding loon, I just wish the majority would take heed.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.