Permissions

sss360

Permissions

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 pm

Evening All!

This evening I've been down to see the two farmers who own the land I shoot on for them to fill in the permissions part of my FAC application. I also took an ordnance survey map with me to detail the boundary of each farmers land, something I like to keep for my reference and can also show the FEO when he comes to visit.

I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of land I have permission to shoot on, totaling at 820 acres (one 200 and another 620). I'm sure some people have a lot more, but this keeps me busy enough for now. Both permissions are cleared for at least for .22LR, which is all I will be shooting initially. Once I've got more experience I may put in a variation for .222 for charlie, but we'll see what happens.

One farmer also requested that I take a wander into one of his barns where he's having a problem with pigeons eating his seed, so hopefully we'll have some pigeon breast for the pot soon, too :D

My application is now all filled in and ready for the post tomorrow morning. Exciting times :)

James
Keep the change, you filthy animal.

Air Arms S410 Carbine .177, Hawke Sport HD IR 3-9x50 AO Mildot, Weihrauch Moderator
CZ 452 .17HMR Varmint, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42, SAK Moderator
Baikal E27 O/U, 12G

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Permissions

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:31 pm

Good luck james
820 acres is enough for most :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Pat g

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:55 pm

sss360 wrote:Evening All!

This evening I've been down to see the two farmers who own the land I shoot on for them to fill in the permissions part of my FAC application. I also took an ordnance survey map with me to detail the boundary of each farmers land, something I like to keep for my reference and can also show the FEO when he comes to visit.

I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of land I have permission to shoot on, totaling at 820 acres (one 200 and another 620). I'm sure some people have a lot more, but this keeps me busy enough for now. Both permissions are cleared for at least for .22LR, which is all I will be shooting initially. Once I've got more experience I may put in a variation for .222 for charlie, but we'll see what happens.

One farmer also requested that I take a wander into one of his barns where he's having a problem with pigeons eating his seed, so hopefully we'll have some pigeon breast for the pot soon, too :D

My application is now all filled in and ready for the post tomorrow morning. Exciting times :)

James

Hi James, You say that you'll be shooting 22lr initially. What calibres are you putting down on you application? Have you considered 17HMR as well as 22lr. They are two very different beasts and your FEO may even suggest that you apply for both. I would certainly suggest you do. If you don't actually purchase a 17HMR you could use this slot on your ticket when as you say you gain more experience and move up to centre fire. It would save you the £25 fee to add a Firearm to your ticket at a latter date. Remember that many forces place a mentoring condition on a new grant for centrefire. Not all do though.
The 222 is a firm favourite with me i might add. It is without doubt the most accurate and sweet shooting of all the 22 centrefires and was the stable choice of bench rest shooting for many years until the 6mm BR came along. And for good reason. Its an inherently accurate round. I have a slot on my ticket for a 222 and plan to add one soon. Especially if i see a nice one at the shooting show this weekend :D
Enjoy your permissions and welcome to the world of powder burners :D You'll never look back once you've made the move ;)
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

Blackbaronfish

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:34 pm

You want to ask for moderators as well ;)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

sss360

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:47 am

Pat g wrote:
Hi James, You say that you'll be shooting 22lr initially. What calibres are you putting down on you application? Have you considered 17HMR as well as 22lr. They are two very different beasts and your FEO may even suggest that you apply for both. I would certainly suggest you do. If you don't actually purchase a 17HMR you could use this slot on your ticket when as you say you gain more experience and move up to centre fire. It would save you the £25 fee to add a Firearm to your ticket at a latter date. Remember that many forces place a mentoring condition on a new grant for centrefire. Not all do though.
The 222 is a firm favourite with me i might add. It is without doubt the most accurate and sweet shooting of all the 22 centrefires and was the stable choice of bench rest shooting for many years until the 6mm BR came along. And for good reason. Its an inherently accurate round. I have a slot on my ticket for a 222 and plan to add one soon. Especially if i see a nice one at the shooting show this weekend :D
Enjoy your permissions and welcome to the world of powder burners :D You'll never look back once you've made the move ;)
ATB,
Pat

Hi Pat,

I certainly have considered a .17HMR, so much so I've actually already put a deposit down on a mint CZ 452 with the varmint barrel ;) After shooting both at my club I can definitely see that they each have their own place in my cabinet, especially for the rough shooting I do.

I'm not in any rush to go for centrefire, but would be happy to have a mentoring condition on there if the FEO deems necessary. Can you nominate someone as a mentor, or are they picked by the FEO? For future reference :)

I've also put down .357 Magnum as I may want to get something like a Marlin Underlever at some point, but if not I could use this for .222 at a later date.

Good luck at the shooting show, hope you find a .222 at the right price ;)

Blackbaronfish wrote:
You want to ask for moderators as well ;)

BBF

I've made sure they are on the application, cheers BBF :)

James

Air Arms S410 Carbine .177, Hawke Sport HD IR 3-9x50 AO Mildot, Weihrauch Moderator
Baikal E27 O/U, 12G

Blackbaronfish

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:16 pm

You can nominate a person to be your mentor but please make sure he's up to the job.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

sss360

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm thinking of my trainer from when I was a probationary member at the club - he's been shooting all his life and is very knowledgeable regarding all aspects of shooting. He has been using .222 for foxes for years and shares one of my permissions so it would be ideal :)

Baikal E27 O/U, 12G

no avatar
Pat g

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:36 pm

sss360 wrote:I'm thinking of my trainer from when I was a probationary member at the club - he's been shooting all his life and is very knowledgeable regarding all aspects of shooting. He has been using .222 for foxes for years and shares one of my permissions so it would be ideal :)

Your trainer at your local Gun Club is the ideal candidate and especially as he shares a permission with you. That will be fine. That is of course IF your licensing authority puts a mentoring condition on your certificate when you do apply for a triple 2. Like i said in an earlier post, some do and some don't. There is nothing in Home Office guidelines that stipulates a new certificate holder with authority for Centrefire requires mentoring. Its another case of licensing authorities making things up as they go along.
Don't forget to ask for expanding ammunition when filling in your forms as well. It's home office policy not to authorise expanding ammunition to shooters who only shoot at target clubs but in your case you shoot game as well so remember to add that request on the form. If your licensing authority are competent they should add that automatically but sometimes this does get overlooked and you would need to return your ticket for ammendment. Hassle you can do without.
I have a CZ452 in 17HMR and they are a good honest rifle. You may need to fettle the trigger with a trigger kit. Various ones are available. I used a Rimfire Magic one but You Dave ones are good as well. Having said that it may already have one fitted.
Aye the 222 is a great round James. I intend for it to fit in between my 17Hmr and my 243. The 222 is Deer legal in Scotland For Roe and in fact was and still is a firm favourite across the border for Roe Stalking. Its also legal in England for Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer. Lovely sweet shooting round James. Good luck with your application mate ;)
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

Blackbaronfish

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:16 pm

I forgot about the expanding ammo. Good call Pat 8-)

BBF

sss360

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks for the tips, Pat!

Do I just add ".17HMR (expanding ammo)" to the ammunition form where I also state how much I would like to be able to store?

Baikal E27 O/U, 12G