Thanks to the local Hunt!!

no avatar
Pat g

Thanks to the local Hunt!!

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Well would you believe it. We've been after a wise old Dog Fox on our main permission for a good couple of months now. He's managed to avoid all attempts to lure him in. I've had him in the cross hairs of the 243 a couple of times but on both occasions there has'nt been a safe backstop to take the shot so i've held off. Steve Katzenjammer came close a few weeks ago with the 12g but the sly old charlie managed to avoid both barrels :evil:
Not so today though. The local hunt were out in force and i was having a wander in the woods on a grey and Dark afternoon. All of a sudden as i was leaning against a tree this big Dog fox came running through the woods towards me. I Heard him first and thought it was one of our many Hares that we have on the land until i saw him not 15 yards from me. In shock he suddenly stopped and before he had time to turn i lifted the Beretta auto to my shoulder and Gave him 32grams of no6's. It literally Bowled him over but i also gave him the two remaining Cartridges but tbh he was going nowhere after the first which clattered him straight in the boiler room and "opened" him up. Not my preffered load for Fox shoot by any means but at olny 15 yards he stood no chance. On inspection, yup it was him. The very same Devil that has had two Hens and several of our Pheasants too.
I'm in no doubt that the hunt drove him towards me so many thanks to them. Our Farmer was absolutely delighted and so was was Steve. I have never had such a difficult Fox to deal with but got him in the end under unusual circumstances :D
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

Blackbaronfish

Re: Thanks to the local Hunt!!

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:00 pm

You lucky git...all you had to do was whistle it. There have been many times that these foxes have evaded capture for longer than a few months :o . They cause so much damage to stock and yet only eat a few. :evil:
Im sure the farmer was well pleased.

Nice early Christmas present 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Katzenjammer

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Well that's what we are there for Pat. Pest control, we aren't there for a stroll in the park. What's your fox count this year then?

The russet of the fox, hare and pheasant show what a great camouflage it is at this time of year against the dead foliage.

And that pesky old pheasant, missed the beggar again. As you know he breaks cover at the last minute, unlike the younger ones and scares the proverbial out of you however alert you think you are. We need the three of us on vectoring the wily thing :D

I didn't expect such a strong wind today nor those glowering skies.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
Pat g

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:You lucky git...all you had to do was whistle it. There have been many times that these foxes have evaded capture for longer than a few months :o . They cause so much damage to stock and yet only eat a few. :evil:
Im sure the farmer was well pleased.

Nice early Christmas present 8-)

BBF

Thanks Ray. Certainly was a good Christmas present. Honestly the bugger has driven us to distraction lately Cheers mate ;)
ATB,
Pat
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

no avatar
Pat g

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Katzenjammer wrote:Well that's what we are there for Pat. Pest control, we aren't there for a stroll in the park. What's your fox count this year then?

The russet of the fox, hare and pheasant show what a great camouflage it is at this time of year against the dead foliage.

And that pesky old pheasant, missed the beggar again. As you know he breaks cover at the last minute, unlike the younger ones and scares the proverbial out of you however alert you think you are. We need the three of us on vectoring the wily thing :D

I didn't expect such a strong wind today nor those glowering skies.

He was no 21 so far this year mate. All shot on different permissions of course :) Cheers,
ATB,
Pat
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

Blackbaronfish

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:33 pm

One of the foxes on a mates farm was causing so much trouble that when the fox was in his sights the farmer was screeming to shoot it. The farmer then rang him on his mobile and asked why he hadnt taken the shot. it turned out the shot would have ended up going through the farmhouses patio doors and into the very large plasma. The farmer to this day keeps saying we should have took the shot :o

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Katzenjammer

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:One of the foxes on a mates farm was causing so much trouble that when the fox was in his sights the farmer was screeming to shoot it. The farmer then rang him on his mobile and asked why he hadnt taken the shot. it turned out the shot would have ended up going through the farmhouses patio doors and into the very large plasma. The farmer to this day keeps saying we should have took the shot :o

BBF

Agreed. No quarter :lol: Would have been even more ironic had Fox News been on? :twisted:
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
granville

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:37 pm

nice when you get them after along wait . :)

Blackbaronfish

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:41 pm

Katzenjammer wrote:
Blackbaronfish wrote:One of the foxes on a mates farm was causing so much trouble that when the fox was in his sights the farmer was screeming to shoot it. The farmer then rang him on his mobile and asked why he hadnt taken the shot. it turned out the shot would have ended up going through the farmhouses patio doors and into the very large plasma. The farmer to this day keeps saying we should have took the shot :o

BBF

Agreed. No quarter :lol: Would have been even more ironic had Fox News been on? :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Katzenjammer

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:46 pm

granville wrote:nice when you get them after along wait . :)

I often think the beggars are laughing at us from behind a convenient tree! Walked up shooting shows how difficult it can be as opposed to the hide or ambush situations. You think you are alert then bang things explode into life. The pigeons were barrelling downwind today at great speed - you haven't got a chance :lol:
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007