AYA No.1

Sake-san

AYA No.1

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:15 pm

A long shot I guess (excuse the pun!) but, has anybody any hands on experience of this gun?. I have the possibility to obtain a matched pair, around 10 years old and they seem little used.
Prior travelling to southern Italy to try and possibly purchase any knowledge/experience gratefully received.
Thank you in advance...
26" 16g I am thinking for the grouse...?
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
Pat g

Re: AYA No.1

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Sake-san wrote:A long shot I guess (excuse the pun!) but, has anybody any hands on experience of this gun?. I have the possibility to obtain a matched pair, around 10 years old and they seem little used.
Prior travelling to southern Italy to try and possibly purchase any knowledge/experience gratefully received.
Thank you in advance...
26" 16g I am thinking for the grouse...?

The AYA No1 is what is known as the companies Best Sidelock. The barrels are manufactured using the Chopper Lump process as opposed to monoblock and are loosely based if i remember correctly on Holland and Hollands regal model,but with a much more affordable price tag!!!! obviously. AYA have a long reputation of producing some really good quality and reliable Game guns from a basic Yeoman non ejector all the way up to their high end No1 which you are interested in. Undoubtedly AYA are one of the best if not "the" best of the Spanish gunmakers. I don't have any personal experience with a No1 although i have used a No2 12g with 28"barrels which again is a sidelock. A beautifully made and superb handling side by side
Personally i would prefer 28" barrels as i think they swing better but the 16g is a nice calibre although no where near as popular here in Britain as it still is on the continent. Over here it has been overshadowed by the 12g and now increasing in popularity the 20g. Cartridge prices for the 16g are more than that of a 12 or 20 as well due in part to the fact that not many are sold.
All that said though the AYA pair that you are looking at will be fine handling guns which are absolutely perfect for Grouse and a walked up day and i'm sure you won't be disappointed. Stick to around an ounce load of no6's and they'll be lovely to shoot. BUT!!!! before you fall in love with these lovely guns and part with any cash be sure to have the guns professionally checked for fit and any necessary adjustments made. That is probably the most important bit of advice i could give you really.
I nearly bought an AYA best Box Lock a couple of years ago. A beautiful gun. Nowadays i shoot an O/U exclusively for both Clays and Game and an auto for Vermin but i have the chance of buying an old AYA yeoman non ejector just to use as a "knockabout" gun for a small sum from a fellow shooting buddy. I'm really tempted as i fancy having another Side by Side back in the cabinet,
I hope this information is of some help and i'd be interested to hear how you get on ;)
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

Sake-san

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:31 am

Thank you Pat, I really appreciate the information, I recall reading somewhere a long time ago that they did not have the best balance / handling but, my memory may simply be wrong.
Trip now planned after Christmas to view them with some winter grayling fishing in Umbria on the way back up :-)

Thanks again

Blackbaronfish

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:55 am

Might be of interest

The No.I balances very well, as one expects from a bench-made sidelock with hand struck barrels. The balance point is almost on the hinge pin as it should be in most (but not all) cases with a game gun. There is a nice sensation of mass between the hands, and the barrels are not too ponderous. I often play with the balance of my own guns. This can be done simply with over and unders by taking the pad off and introducing a little weight behind by some means (I often cut off the front section of a cartridge to get an extra ounce). With traditionally stocked side by sides one may drill a hole in the butt and pour molten lead in (though the proper gunmakers way is to mould the lead into a rod first, tap it in and cap it). A well balanced gun always feels good, and often lighter, even when you have made it a little heavier to get it to balance out.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Sake-san

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:44 am

Thanks Ray, they are being sold by a widow who is related to one of our Italian friends, unfortunately I can't get photos but, am informed that her late husband was of similar build to myself (not a small man!) so we shall see.

Thanks again

Katzenjammer

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:14 am

Well here's hoping Sake-san :D

Lovely guns the AYA. Kemen may claim to be the best of the Spanish makers but they are an acquired taste. Whenever my daughter asks me what I want for Christmas or birthday I invariably point out that she could travel up the factory and buy me an AYA, even a cheap one! Needless to say I'm still waiting :lol:
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Sake-san

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:34 pm

Well... I have crossed all digits, we shall see. A trip to rural Italy is always a pleasure especially with both guns and fly fishing on the agenda (not to mention the wonderful cuisine) but, assuming they fit +/- and are in the the expected condition I need to see the lady right as the suggested price seems far too low. Either way I shall ensure that she gets what they are worth.
Thanks again for the information and guidance, very much appreciated.

A very good evening to you all.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Fingers crossed then

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Sake-san

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks Ray, with luck I shall return significantly poorer and half a kilo heavier ;) but, with a couple of adopted twins :o
Either a late Christmas pressie or an early birthday gift...