I'm hopeless

no avatar
BEAR54

I'm hopeless

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm hopeless at this hunting lark :(
I keep sitting in the field up against the hedges wind\breeze in my face, I wear dark clothes that smell of the horses there's even donkey conkers around me, I have a tripod set up with camouflage netting to hide behind and still the rabbits seem to know I'm there :cry: I sit as still as a 54 year old can and in fact when I finally give up I creak like the door of a haunted house :lol:
What the heck am I doing wrong???
I've even looked over my shoulder and the little gits are out eating ( until I try and move )
What the heck am I doing wrong?
Oh and I don't go to the same spot everytime. It's a 6 acher ( that's the wrong spelling ) field and there's a half dozen warrens.
It doesn't matter where I set up the little buggers are somewhere else :|
HELP !!!!
Please :( I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time and money :?
Cheers useless of Peterborough

no avatar
wastrel

Re: I'm hopeless

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:40 pm

had exactly the same problem 20 years ago until the bloke I shot with admitted he `salted` certain spots on his half of the permission we shot, with currants & had set up a permanent hide, then, & I`m not joking here, when the first couple dropped, the opportunities seemed to present themselves exponentially & we both brought home a bag every time, the farm was on a hill & reeking with bunnies I should add.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:06 pm

have you tried tying a carrot too a long length of string and then pulling it slowly towards yourself drawing the rabbits into range... :lol:

seriously I must have made 20 trips out before I bagged my first rabbit but once you bag one it just gets easier.

leave the rifle at home and take a pair of bino`s and just watch them and workout a plan of attack
is it possible too see your movements/silhouette behind the camo net, weave some of the natural vegetation too the camo net
are you the only guy who shoots this land.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Brooksy

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Wear a brimmed hat, it hides your eyes and prey animals fear forward facing eyes as us predators possess. Stalk toward them, but only move as fast as a horse grazes, if they stop eating and look up, stay still until they feed again. Hide any shine on your rifle and drape a camo net over the barrel, in nature there are no reflections or straight lines. Wear cotton clothing, nylon hisses, rabbits have far better hearing than eyesight.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

Raj

Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:48 pm

A bit rubbish on the weather front right now but you are welcome to come and do a couple of hunts with me here at Rugby :) Will gladly show you the ropes if you don't mind.

If you are going to persevere on your permission, try lying prone (instead of sitting) at about 25 yards from an active warren. Lie along a hedgerow ... close as you can to the hedge ...facing the warren. Obviously downwind and sun behind you if possible. Try and not be the lump that breaks the skyline (unlikely of you are prone).
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Katzenjammer

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Nip down to Iceland. They sell rabbit, kangaroo, crocodile, wombat and other exotic meats.

Acher sounds like the right spelling to me, if you are creaking now then wait until your 62
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
BEAR54

Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks guys I'll take on board the advice.
I'll stick with it and I'll try the laying down technique.
Thanks for the offer to come to Rugby but I'll give it a miss it's a long way away but thanks anyway 8-)
It's just a bit of a wind up as in the warmer weather I was getting one or two rabbits a weekend but since the weather has changed I seem to be out of luck :cry:

no avatar
granville

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:05 pm

shooting mat 001.JPG
shooting mat 001.JPG (173.33 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
rabbits tend to start and get scares ,and know its time to run as they see thier mates shot.
i use prone for best result .59 me not that young.

james79

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:17 pm

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but the greatest virtue you can have on the hunting field is patience ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
BEAR54

Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:48 am

Well I've spent too much money on my kit to give up so I'll just keep trying :twisted: