Lamping

Blackbaronfish

Lamping

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Its getting darker and colder so it must be time to dust off the lamping gear. I tend to just use a small torch mounted job now' but years ago it was my trusted Deben kit.
This consisted of a large lamp fixt to my rifle and two large battery packs in a belt. How things have changed hey.
The rechargeble batteries for my torch are on charge so i should be able to grab a few hours here and there.
We are busy at work with Christmas lines, so my time is going to be even more of a juggle :o .

Anyone else dusting their kit off?

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Lamping

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Dusted my lamp off a little while back and like yourself ..no more big batteries and leads too worry about :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Katzenjammer

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:37 am

Checked and tested regularly. Well my own smaller torch is. The bigger kit that Pat has is used regularly. Having a lampman and taking turns helps.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

darran77

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:06 am

I for one have been looking forward to the darker nights, even during summer i often would venture out late on and lamp the fields.
The technology has changed so fast from using a belt with D cell's and a pifco bike lamp through the lead acid and gell batterys to the lithium
batterys i use now with cree emitters.
I have a selection (i admit it i am a torch tart) of torches in the workshop all taking 1 lipo battery from T20's
to a little ultrafire customised with upgraded emitter and lens which puts a good visable beem well past my range and that of a rimmy.
One thing i will say is dont throw old laptop batterys out as they contain lipo's and it's usualy only 1 cell that has failed and the rest can be
recovered and charged up (with the right charger) and used as spares. I have been using some for the past 2 years with success as they hold a
good charge and deliver it well.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
Pat g

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:54 pm

I use a Cluson Clublite from the vehicle but a heavy beast when on foot. However i'm currently looking at purchasing a Night Master NM800. Supposed to be a cracking bit of kit. I like the idea of being able to replace the head with an IR when i move over to NV. Anyone have any experience of the Night Master NM 800?
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

no avatar
granville

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:42 pm

dusted off the venum strike saturday night 3 rabbits in the bag . :D

no avatar
Brooksy

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Pat g wrote:I use a Cluson Clublite from the vehicle but a heavy beast when on foot. However i'm currently looking at purchasing a Night Master NM800. Supposed to be a cracking bit of kit. I like the idea of being able to replace the head with an IR when i move over to NV. Anyone have any experience of the Night Master NM 800?
ATB,
Pat

Just make sure you have brightness adjustment on your NV. The 800 will illuminate an entire field.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
Outandabout

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi all
I actually did my first lamping session of the "season" last night. Dusted off the trusty deben miny pro, put it on top of my s410 classic and did a 2 hour walk around the permission. Weather was great with just a little breeze, and plenty of cloud cover. Loads of rabbits about and 2 foxes. Managed to get 6 rabbits.
Really enjoyed the 2 hours spent out in the dark by myself and looking forward to the next time.
Kevin