Another little trip out

no avatar
chrismdd

Another little trip out

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:24 am

Had to get a load of fencing posts yesterday for my old man to extend his veggie patch and fruit garden and to help stop the continued attacks from the increasing numbers of rabbits round here.

As I drove the trailer up into the field there were a good number of rabbits already out in the middle of the day so planned a little trip up there in the evening after first identifying a few areas where they were coming out to feed. Came back at 8pm and due to the light breeze needed to set up in the furthest corner:

After a chunk of malt loaf and and a swig of water I put my head down for a little nap to while away the time and listen to the wildlife all around which included jays, pigeons and badgers. There were a good number of pigeons coming into the trees around me but they were impossible to spot amongst the foliage and I would not of had a safe backstop from where I was positioned.

Thirty minutes had passed and I put my head up to see two rabbits out in front of me, one was at about 40 yds but the other was a lot closer so eased the S410 into position on the bipod and sent the AA field on its way to drop him cleanly. More rabbits were coming out further down out of range and over the next twenty minutes I watched six nice sized bunnies enjoying the evening sunshine. Then to my right I caught sight of some movement in the hedge and a rabbit bounded out really close and stood up. An easy shot that dropped without a twitch.

More rabbits were out but too far and as it was getting dark I decided to take a stalk round the field after first picking up the rabbits that were at 21 and 16 yards only.

As I headed round the garden two rabbits bolted off the lawn then I spotted one out in the first paddock, unfortunately due to pigeons clattering out of the trees he was ready to bolt and so I tried a longer shot off the sticks but completely missed and he sped away. Keeping close to the hedgeline I made my way down the field where two badgers were out searching for worms and I managed to get to within twenty yards of them before they sensed me and ran back into the hedge. Walking under an old oak tree I just made out the silhouette of rabbit in the gathering gloom. He was sat on the mound of earth from a badgers hole. I estimated him at the top end of forty yards so gave him a mildot and a half from the shooting sticks. The AA field hit the exact target and this rabbit literally sprung four feet into the air doing a double somersault before landing stone dead, he was at exactly 50 yds.

That was enough for this evening so home to prepare the rabbits and get the kids making bunny burgers in the morning:

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Another little trip out

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:44 am

another good read chris :) I look forward too your hunting tales so you had better go out more often :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
granville

Re: Another little trip out

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:56 pm

great read and 3 in the bag. well done .