Little trip out

no avatar
chrismdd

Little trip out

Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Well having just returned from a family holiday in North Cornwall it was time to check out what was about and see if much of the crops had been cut.

Ten minute drive and arrived at my furthest permission to find that the corn was golden but not yet cut so pigeon decoying will have to wait a bit longer. Walked through a crop field and entered a cut grass field to see a good number of rabbits on the far hedge line but decided to continue to the small hay field where I had some good successes last year. Set up near a corner and due to the high grass in at the edges that provided good cover I needed to unclip the bipod and use the shooting sticks instead.

I had been playing around with power levels recently on my pre-tamper S410 to ensure it was legal and so needed to re-check zero that required a whole mag before I was happy. Felt that all was set for a good evening when a band struck up in the village playing all the golden oldies so the peace was shattered (last year it was the bloody morrismen at the pub). Well gave it an hour but only two rabbits ventured out way across on the other side. So decided to go off stalking.

As I re-entered the cut field I saw a rabbit at 20 yards sit up in the long grass, then another ran out behind at 30 yards and sat bolt upright. Both were on high alert so I eased my myself up against a gate post and decided to take the nearest one before they bolted. A clean shot and it dropped, amazingly the other one ten yards behind never flinched a muscle and allowed me to reload and drop it with a second shot.

Two nice three-quarter grown rabbits (the best eaters) in the bag. Over in the far corner I spied some more rabbits out and decided to set up an ambush there 30 yards out from the hedge after refitting the bipod:

After about half an hour I got that strange feeling that I was being watched, turning round I caught sight of 'Zoltan feline of Dracula' who was obviously a bit annoyed that I was hunting on his patch. He stayed with me until the end of the evening:

As it was starting to get dark I started seeing a few rabbits venturing out but out of range further down the field. Then two came out a bit nearer but I guessed that they were around 45 yards away, the wind was now non-existent and so so a mildot over and a bit I squeezed off the shot to drop the rabbit with a perfect clean shot behind the eye and paced him out to 48 yards.

Three nice rabbits in the bag and time to head home:

Blackbaronfish

Re: Little trip out

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:17 pm

Well that worked out in the end 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started