spoke too soon

no avatar
poguemahone

spoke too soon

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:09 pm

i told Raj yesterday that i hadnt seen any rats for a couple of weeks, and that my 2 attempts to shoot that friendly rat a few weeks ago ended in failure.
liam spotted 1 last night just after dark, but wasnt sure if it was reggie or ronnie, so i'll have a look through me scope later to try and see which one it was.
the rat population here is at an all time low at the minute, although i must admit it feels more rewarding somehow, targeting these rats individually.
its the old ''rat in the garden shed technique'' really. put some bait in front of a backstop for a couple of nights to get him used to it, then nail him if he turns up.
the trouble is, reggie and ronnie kept forgetting to turn up :lol: they're not wised up, as i was feeding one while i stood 1ft away a few weeks back, i just think its a lack of competition for the food. i can put 5 piles of bait out and some nights its hardly touched, whereas this time last year they would scoff the lot within an hour :lol:
a waiting game with a bit of luck thrown in it is then ;)

no avatar
granville

Re: spoke too soon

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:17 pm

bit on the scarce side on the feeders ,keeper never seen place so clear of rats.
just need to wait they will be at the bait steve .
atb paul. :)

rogers1

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:46 pm

I was in the same predicament last year, but every time I went into the hen house to check out the area, I would see rats. Far too tight for the rifle, plus maximum range was about nine feet.
So I took my HW45....
(now before anyone says they don't have the power/accuracy for small game, mine shoots at 4.75 ftlbs and at five metres I always one hole it, at ten feet I shoot grains of sweetcorn off a fence rail every shot)
I got one on the first visit and five on the second and odd ones since then.
All headshots.
I found that the Bisley practice gave a nice, flat smack...

My problem is I hardly ever get a chance to shoot them!

Duncs
AA TX200 MkIII in .177 with a Viper
AA Ultimate Sporter in .177, JSR scope
Weihrauch HW45 in .177, No glass, save my old, weary eyes....

roadrunner

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:28 pm

rogers1 wrote:I was in the same predicament last year, but every time I went into the hen house to check out the area, I would see rats. Far too tight for the rifle, plus maximum range was about nine feet.
So I took my HW45....
(now before anyone says they don't have the power/accuracy for small game, mine shoots at 4.75 ftlbs and at five metres I always one hole it, at ten feet I shoot grains of sweetcorn off a fence rail every shot)
I got one on the first visit and five on the second and odd ones since then.
All headshots.
I found that the Bisley practice gave a nice, flat smack...

My problem is I hardly ever get a chance to shoot them!

Duncs

Ive got a brocock atomic pcp pistol and its deadly on small vermin out to 10 metres, so much better than a rifle at that range and with open sights it keeps it super compact