Just a few more

no avatar
chrismdd

Just a few more

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Same old story (must start going after some corvids or pigeons soon).

Anyway arrived at the ravaged wheat field at a 7:30pm to be greeted by road closure signs, oh well the benefits of driving an old Disco I managed to drive up the embankment and across a little ditch to park up by the field.

Decided this time to go straight to the well eaten corner. As I wandered over I spied a few out there already and by using patches of standing crop managed to stalk up and bag one early on. Then went and set up the net and poles up in the top corner but downwind of the buries. Loads of nettles all down this hedgerow, a sure sign that rabbits are in attendance being one of the only plants that can tolerate high levels of rabbit urine. Not so good when it comes to the ferreting season and getting them across the backs of your ears. Anyway a quick selfie:

For some reason the wind started to get a bit gusty and so I was going to have to limit my shots to 30yds and under to ensure some clean kills. However, after about forty minutes with no sign of any rabbits I decided to up sticks and find a more sheltered spot down by the road hedge. I already knew my ranges for this part and so a quick set-up without much disturbance enabled me to concentrate on a section in front of me using the bipod and to prevent a repeat of last week I placed my shooting sticks behind me for any that came out there.

Over the next hour I managed a total of five shots to put four more in the bag (one missed shot due to hitting a fern stalk that was close and out of focus). They were a right mis-match of rabbits from battle worn mixy scarred oldies to a youngster. So took two nice medium ones for the pot, the little one for the ferrets and left the two old ones for the buzzards and foxes.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Just a few more

Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

another good read :) you`ve twisted my arm I will go out shooting tonight :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
granville

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:24 pm

good shooting and great read. :)

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:16 am

well I did get out for a few hours :D arrived at the farm at eleven home by 12.45 and eleven bunnies in the bag :D a few had a touch of mixy hopefully it is not going too be as bad as it has been over the last few years.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Dan

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:36 am

Nice post and great shooting mate
Air Arms s200 MK2 HUMA Regulated, MTC MAMBA