Still keeping the farmer happy

no avatar
chrismdd

Still keeping the farmer happy

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:45 pm

With all this fine weather that we have had lately I decided on a second trip up to the field that I shot on last week. This time I set up at the other end of the same damaged patch as last week, partly because I saw rabbits at the far end last time and also because the wind was in the opposite direction.

Put out markers at 30, 40 and 50 yards for the distances that I have been practising over the last week. Set up the usual camo net and poles, sorry Rez I know you're sick of seeing it so this time here is a selfie (not quite a celebrity one):

Made myself comfortable, had a choccy bar and a swig of water and got ready for any action.

It was a good half an hour before the first young rabbit came out at just beyond the 50 yd marker so left this one alone. Another ten minutes and a nice rabbit came out just 20 yds away, aimed and dropped him with a nice clean shot. Looking up the young rabbit was now alert and right next to my 50 yd marker so a bit of holdover and he dropped. He was kicking around a bit, as young rabbits do, but on picking him up he had a clean headshot. Brought them both back and lay in wait again.

As I waited I noticed sufflings and gruntings in the hedge next to me and soon a couple of badgers were passing me barely five feet away. As they continued down the hedge behind me I glanced behind to see a rabbit just 25 yds behind me next to the hedge. Too good an opportunity to miss so as stealthy as I could I slid the S410 from under the netting and tried to pivot round. All the time this rabbit was getting anxious and obviously ready to bolt. I only managed to get the gun resting on my boot in a rather awkward position and rushing the shot I fired high and he was gone. Annoyed with myself for not taking more time I went back to my usual position and saw another young rabbit but this was well beyond the 50 yd marker and I guessed it was at around 60. Still annoyed with my earlier mistake I decided to have a go when normally I would leave it. The air was still and I went for a headshot with 3 mildot holdover, fired and the rabbit dropped without as much as a kick. Picked him up and there was no sign of a shot, paced it back and it was 72 yards, closer examination showed a heart shot where the pellet had dropped.

Went for a look around and saw a number of rabbits up in the top corner so with still a good hour of light I upped sticks and changed position. This area showed more damage than anywhere else so set up against the standing wheat. This hedgerow is one that we ferreted hard in the winter and cleared out and many of the rabbits showed a bout of mixy at the time. They have obviously returned in numbers which maybe due to the neighbouring field now growing potatoes and so forcing more rabbits over.

Over the next hour I took two nice rabbits and will definitely try this area properly again during the coming week.

With the light now almost gone it was time to head home. Three of the rabbits were young ones destined for the ferrets, whilst the other two were nicer larger youngish tender rabbits perfect for cooking.

As I headed back to the truck I could see brake lights coming on and off in two distance large fields that had recently been cut for silage. They were shooting rimfires / hmrs possibly with NV. Sounded a bit like a massacre going on as they drove around the fields. Made me think that yes it may be a very efficient method of controlling rabbits when in large numbers but would I want to do it no I much prefer the fieldcraft of stalking and laying in wait with a sub 12ft/lb airgun where the skills still persist. I compare this to my love of fishing natural rivers for coarse fish rather than fishing commercial carp puddles. Just my thoughts I suppose but each to their own.

Chris

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Still keeping the farmer happy

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:49 pm

again chris a great write up:D :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
GrandadG

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:10 pm

An enjoyable read Chris, thanks! :D
HW100T .177
AA Prosport .177
AA S200 .177 Huma Reg

Blackbaronfish

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:02 pm

For a minute i thought Deano was back :mrgreen: . Was a nice read 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
granville

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

good write up ,and good bag as well.