Rabbits - new permission

no avatar
dave h

Rabbits - new permission

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:49 am

Some friends in the village had been saying for a while how the field they have as part of their property is over run with rabbits. Oh ay thinks I, heard that one before, probably at least 3.......
So we were over there on Sunday for a BBQ in the evening and, hand up, I was wrong. Place was heaving with them, I counted about 30 odd :o Completely unfussed by us or indeed the fox that trotted up the side of the field with a kitt in its mouth :shock:

Needless to say I arranged to come back :D

Went down last night and knocked over 7 in just over an hour. Could easily have taken more by staying out another hour but there was the slight detail of carrying them away and then the time to paunch and skin them all.
I actually left the 2 smallest for the fox/badger/kites but brought the others home.
Due to being really slow at skinning bunnies (lack of practice) I decided to gut them last night and then skin them today, hope that wasn't an error! Normally I do the whole process when I finished the shoot but I'd have been up all night with 5 to do. :oops:

Question to the floor: when gutting under those circumstances, do you remove everything or stop at the diaphragm, i.e leave heart and lungs in? I took it all out to be sure, but wondered.

Anyway, here is the traditional group photo (apologies for lack of AA content, I wanted to use the quietest rifle in the collection and the ripper is mouse fart quiet).

rabbits_froud1.jpg
rabbits_froud1.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 3650 times

Timmytree

Re: Rabbits - new permission

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:57 pm

This time of year I paunch in the field but remove diaphragm and last bits at home. Let the blood clot around the lungs and heart and you've got less mess to deal with. I do keep them in a fridge though, they will go off pretty quick in hot weather.

no avatar
dave h

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks for that Timmy, I'll maybe bear that in mind for next time.
They went straight in the fridge after paunching last night, though the missus did insist on them being double bagged to do so!

Not got round to skinning them yet, next on the list of things to do but it is just too hot to be wrestling with bunnies.

Raj

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Double bagging traps the heat in for a long time. You need to talk to your mrs. Mine go in the fridge for the 1st few hours uncovered so they cool quick.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
dave h

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks for the tip Raj, I'll have a word (under safe conditions!)
They had cooled somewhat due to me getting caught in a nice refreshing thunder shower last night whilst gutting them :roll:

All skinned and in the freezer now. 8-)