Keeping the Farmer happy

no avatar
chrismdd

Keeping the Farmer happy

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Last April a shooting and fishing friend of mine got me some permission that wasn't right on my doorstep and needed a ten minute drive to reach. It consists of four big wheat fields and a hay field and in the last fourteen months it has provided us with around two hundred rabbits to the airguns and ferrets as well as around forty or more woodies to the airguns whilst decoying.

Even though it has in this time suffered a bout of mixy it soon bounces back and so driving up to take a look it became evident that rabbits had been at work over the last month nibbling back the wheat, just look at this damage:

This is one area that we didn't get round to ferreting during the winter. The hedge on the right drops down a fifteen foot bank completely covered in brambles and ferns with wire sheep netting at the top. This will be top of our ferreting sorties this winter as the damage done by the rabbits is all along this side of the field.

So set-up the S410 and put out fern makers at 30, 40 and 50 yds. Then it was a case of settling down and lying in wait:

Wasn't long before the first bunnies came out just beyond the 50 yd marker so one and a half mildots over and it dropped with barely a twitch. Over the next hour and a half rabbits came out in ones and twos and a total of seven were taken although one managed to kick itself through the sheep netting and ended up lying ten feet down the bank stone dead but out of reach.

The rabbits were all fairly young and taken from 25 yds to the 56 yarder. Three were taken for the ferrets and the others were left for the fox:

Blackbaronfish

Re: Keeping the Farmer happy

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:23 pm

I would be happy driving half an hour to that perm :o :mrgreen: . Sounds like your making the most of it. Nice for the farmer to see some decline in numbers 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Geordie

Re: Keeping the Farmer happy

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Im sure he''ll be happy with that. Great result! 8-)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)