Trying out some new toys

no avatar
chrismdd

Trying out some new toys

Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Today I received my new bipod to fit to the S410 and a new camera to try out. So I would be ready for a short session this evening.

As the wind had died down at 8:30pm I decided to hit the top corner of the field where a few rabbits were out on my arrival. Set up the rifle on the new bipod and put a marker out at 30 yards. Needed to persuade the sheep to move to the bottom of the field for safety reasons and then settled down to await some action.

A few rabbits soon came out right at the top of the field in the corner where I was last week so they were well out of range. It was well past 9pm when I finally noticed a rabbit out right next to my marker stick. So crosshairs on the kill zone and it dropped without as much as a kick.

Over the the next hour as the light was fading a few rabbits could be heard thumping underground right next to me in the hedge. They must of known of my presence but were so eager to get out and feed that on two occasions I could just make out a rabbit peering out the long grass in the hedge barely five yards away before making a dash for the middle of the field and out of sight.

Eventually I spied a couple of young rabbits out a long way up the field well beyond the marker. However, with the lack of wind and knowing my holdovers I guessed the nearest to be at the 50+ yard mark so gave it a mildot holdver and carefully squeezed off the shot. It fell instantly and was paced out to 55yards.

The stability of the bipod had proved its worth, the only downside was acquiring a couple of red ant bites on my belly due to lying prone in the grass.

Also today I went with a mate to pick up a X20S XTAC rifle for his lads birthday. We got it back to my place to fit the scope that comes with it and give it a go. For £130 all in and firing JSB Exacts it was a truely amazing rifle for the price, consistently knocking down cartridge cases at 30 yards.

Timmytree

Re: Trying out some new toys

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:34 am

Don't lie down in the grass!
Get yourself a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and paint it green, use it to carry a coat, drink, biccies, camo net etc. Fit a strap so you can sling it over your shoulder. Set up as normal but upend the bucket to rest the bipod feet on. Much more comfortable!

no avatar
chrismdd

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:18 am

Yes, I'll have to try that. I've already got one of those camo ones with the swivel tops that the pigeon shooters use when hide shooting. Mind you apart from the ants I do find lying down a very comfortable position and can easily lie prone for a few hours without much movement (interspersed with a few short naps).

roadrunner

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:53 am

I carnt lie down on my stomach for to long without backache, i prefer sat on my backside and shoot off the sticks giving the same level of accuracy

no avatar
sparrowhawkfalconer

Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Great work mate :D